Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Flying

Default New to Flying

I mean really new. I'm in the process of doing my research into different aircraft. I really love love love the looks and idea behind the kitfox.

I'm 40 years old and wondering if my age will present a problem in learning to fly. I guess I have a lot of apprehensive feelings about it as I've only been up a few times in my early years, but I guess for someone really wanting to learn it's never to late. I guess I was wondering if there are any of you who learned to fly later in life than even me infact.

Look forward to learning more about the kitfox, and does anyone in the carolina's currently fly this airplane? Would love to meet someone local who is currently flying this plane.

Default Re: New to Flying

Brian, I started flying lessons when I was 50. Had wanted to do it since I was about 16. Been flying now 11 years and enjoyed evry minute. Go for it.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Thats great to know it's never to late. Look forward to starting. I'll be scedualing my "Discover Flying" session soon, and look forward to it.

At 40, You're not even close to old age and learning to fly. I've taught several new pilots to fly in their 60's and 70's. One of my students got his private pilot license on his 75th birthday and I know there are pilots that got their license over 80.

If you're apprehensive... chew on an antacid. [I'm serious. Puking on your first flight is bad form. I always offer Rolaids to people on intro flights.]

John Pitkin
    Greenville, Tx

You'll do fine. If you can fly twice a week, you'll save time and money in the long run. Good luck and enjoy the experience!

One more thing - The people on this board are very nice! If you want to get some time in a kitfox, check out Stick & Rudder in Boise, ID.
    Last edited by montana_jim; 07-12-2010 at 01:21 AM.

hey Brian, a lot of us learned to fly later in life after raising our familys. I recieved a call the other day from a man who recently retired and had just got his last daughter married off. Now he's ready to live out a long term dream of flying. I was in my early 40's when I started flying and one of my best friends soloed on his 70th birthday. Where's Dobson, NC. I'm in central NC. James Thomas

Started at age 55. I was flying last evening with my 87 year old mother. Go for it!!!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Bryan,
    Your just a kid !!! Get with it !
    Dick

I started flying 6 years ago. I was 46. I also bought my Kitfox during flight training. 6 years later and I now have two airplanes the kitfox and an RV7, I finished the building on the RV last year in may. I now have 330hrs on the RV and over 1500hrs to date on the kitfox from when I got it. I'm a flying fool. I fly an average of 1 hr a day most the time more than that. I'm hitting around 400hrs a year between the two aircraft. My hrs are around 1800. I've always wanted to fly since I was a little one as well, I just didn't have the money, now I do and that's all I want to do. The kitfox is great and I have no regrets on having one. Just do it.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I just got back into it after a 28 year absence... started lessons recently and I'm smiling the whole time... my instructor is 22, I'm turning 50... the instructor has incredible patience and he is allowing me to re-learn at my own pace... I ask tons of questions...

First time out during the runup, I turned off the master switch... the good news is that it worked ; )... I felt like an idiot... proves the point that I have a lot to learn, but thus far, the journey is a blast and rewarding.

My instructor is fairly brave as he hasn't touched the controls in over 3 hours and a dozen Takeoffs and Landings... he killed the throttle over the pattern the other day and I instinctively trimmed the 152 up and headed for the runway...

Halfway through final he asked me if i thought I could make it and I said that yes I think we can... and I landed engine-out... it felt like making a hole in one... extremely personally satisfying.

My strong suggestion is to see it through to solo... the cost and work involved is tough, but anything worth doing -- is.

Above all, have fun and be safe.

PS: you won't find a nicer group of people than folks involved in General Aviation... I was visiting a friend's restored Cessna 195 last Friday and his buddy stopped by and asked if I wanted a ride in his Cirrus -- all because I was a "pilot" and had an interest... we went around the Lebanon, NH aerodrome and saw magnificent NH scenery and learned a lot within the tower controlled airspace... what a treat... I'll never forget it and I hope that I too have a plane one day and can take someone up out of the blue..
    NOKITFOXYET