Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Flying

Default Re: New to Flying

Had my ultralight license in the mid 1980's(was taken from me for medical reasons in 1991...migraines...when I applied for my license in the 80's,the aviation dr. told me not to fly if I was having an attack..made sense to me and he gave me his OK. When renewal time comes,a different aviation dr. wants more info from my family dr., ok...nothing had changed in intensity or frequency of the migraines...and the aviation dr. rejects my medical!..go figure!)
    Anyway,rant over, I don't get migraines anymore(there are benefits to getting older)and am getting my licence reinstated...I am 53 yrs.old. My wife who is also 53 is going for her licence also. She went up for a "discovery flight" and loved flying the plane(they gave her a decent amount of hands-on time in a 170). In Canada, you can't carry a passenger in an ultralight unless the other person is an ultra light pilot,so this way we can fly together.(In Canada, a basic ultralight is no more than 1200 lbs.gross and no more than 45 mph. stall). We bought an enclosed trailer and are looking for a Kitfox 4. We plan on travelling to different areas of the country and flying from the remote airfields. I think/hope we can fly in the USA. Dan PS. Hope to meet some of you folks @ Oshkosh.

Default Re: New to Flying

Hey JrThomas. Your explanation of when people get started flying sounds alot like me. Kids are still relatively young, (daughter 16, son 14) Lately I've really been getting the bug to learn. An engineer at work has had his pilot license sinse the Viatnam war. He flew Heli's. He recently purchased his son an airplane. Talking to him about it has really rekindled a flame I've been keeping partially lit for 20 years. Im not so sure about a majore airplance purchase as I dont think I could afford the maintenance cost, but the kitfox sounds like it's doable.

Dobson is in Surry county it borders the Va state line. I guess the nearest city would be Winston Salem.

Talking Re: New to Flying

Talk about learning to fly when you're old...I'm turning 32 this winter. HAHA! Just kidding fellas. I love to hear that even those who are "old" physically are still young at heart. I have been in helicopters for a number of years and am now learning to fly airplanes. In a couple of months I'll have completed my Multi-Land, High Performance, and Type Rating in a B300. Loving every minute of it. It's too bad that, for now, the days of "slow and low" are a distant memory. Soon, like many of you, I hope to be talking to John and Deb about my SS! Happy Landings!
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!