Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Paint question

Default Paint question

Hello everyone, This question should get a few responses since everyone paints their aircraft. What type of masking tape do/did you use when you painted accent colors/stripes/etc.? I'm using Polytone and Aerothane, following the Polyfiber book but having a lot of bleed thru on a couple of parts I've painted for my Super Sport. Never had this problem before, so don't know if it is the paint or what, tape seems to have good adhesion and edges are pressed just before shooting. Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Dick B

Default Re: Paint question

A trick that I learned to keep a sharp (non-bleeding) edge...
    1. Lay down your base color coat and let it dry completely.
    2. Use a good masking tape to line out your transition color. I take the time to firmly press this edge down.
    3. Spray your base color coat right over this tape line and let it dry. The idea is if the tape is going to bleed any, it will bleed the same color and at the same time seal these areas.
    4. After this is dry, now spray your contrasting color.

This should help with the bleed problem.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

There is a product out there for latex paint work called Frog Tape.
    It is unbelievably effective at preventing bleed. It's patented and expensive but you've never seen anything like it. I used it in our family room that has a lot of exposed wood and there was no bleed at all.

This is their website: http://www.frogtape.com/

Now the question of the day is: How will it perform with Polytone and Aerothane? Maybe someone else has tried Frog Tape with these paints...

Rich Cunningham
    Lafayette, CA
    Model IV Speedster - 1200 - 80hp

Rich...thanks for the info! I had never heard of the stuff and look forward to hearing of someone trying it. Replys like yours is what makes this a great go-to site.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I prefer a product from 3M called "fine line". The tape is smooth and does not have wrinkles in it like most masking tapes. Unlike the Frog tape it can be used with solvent and epoxy based paints. Frog tape gel only works with water based paints.

According to 3M fine line is "Extruded matte finish polypropylene film masking tape that stretches easily over curves and tears easily by hand for sharp, clean paint lines."

The film tape acts like a knife cutting through paint lines to give a sharp clean line. It can be left on for a few days. I've left it on for a week or more. The only part I don't agree with in the 3M hype is the part about "tears easily by hand" This stuff is tough. It's hard to tear and I like it that way. It's stiff enough to stretch into very straight lines but will stretch and bend around corners without wrinkles.

Available at most auto finish suppliers, marine stores (West Marine) and Amazon.com. Comes in several widths. Expensive and worth it.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, Tx

I can second John's recommendation on the 3M Fine line. I am right in the middle of painting and the tape works great. In a book about painting airplanes, it recommends pulling the tape after about two hours and pull toward the wet side to allow any tear to to fall back onto the wet and blend. Well, I did that, but this morning, I found one piece of tape still on the rudder that I painted four weeks ago. I pulled the tape and it was absolutely fine, so who knows. Like John, I found that scissors works better than tearing. I comes in widths and I used the 3/8". Also, the blue masking tape for the paper sticks to it very well.

Auto Paint store.

Lowell

Fine line is what we use when we paint aircraft.

One tip, don't lay the roll of tape down on a surface that is dirty or dusty. The dust will stick to the edge of the tape and will cause paint to bleed under. We always store our rolls of fine line in a zip lock bag.

Mark

I also used fine line and some 3M blue bendy stuff. Both worked well when I did good job burnishing down the edges, some bleed where I did not. I used the handle of a chip brush for this, worked well for me.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive