Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: A kitfox review from an ordinary guy

Default A kitfox review from an ordinary guy

This post is for all of the non kitfox owners and people checking out the kitfox. I got my PPL just about a year ago and I have been getting the bug to build an airplane. Yesterday I had the opportunity to get some of flight training in the Kitfox SLA with Paul Leadabrand from Glass Cockpit Aviation. My main mission was to see if I could fit in the Kitfox and check its responsiveness with two big guys. Here are my impressions.

I am a big guy - 6 ft and heavy set. Paul is taller than I but lean. So we had two big guys in the Kitfox SLA. It was very comfortable. We had plenty of leg room, arm and head room. We were not bumping elbows and long trips would not be a problem with two big people.

The Kitfox seemed to leap off the runway. We were doing close to 1000 ft per minute on Vx and a solid 500 ft per minute on VY. We were just under the 1320 max limit. Field elevation was approximately 2900’. Once in the air, I was surprised by all of the visibility. The glass doors, glass top and windscreen screen provided a great view. You could see well out the top when doing steep turns.

We did a power off stall. When it stopped flying there was a slight buffet. Next we did a power on stall. It turned out to be a power on mush. It didn’t want to break. Stalls on kitfox were very docile, especially compared to the 172 - which I normally fly.

The responsiveness by the kitfox is great. It is literally two finger flying. You almost forgot that you were holding a stick. We did slow flight and turns around point. We pulled the throttle to idle and simulated an engine out. Compared to a 172, the kitfox just seem to want to fly. Even with the engine to idle, we were doing turns and loosing little altitude. If I were in an engine out situation, I think I would rather be in the Kitfox.

This was the first time I had flown with an electronic efis. The plane had a Dynon display. The split screen between the moving map and instrument interface was nice. I quickly caught on to the new instrument scan.

Paul demonstrated three point, two point and cross wind landings in the tail dragger. We had a constant 10 knot wind in gusty conditions. The plane handles very well.

We then landed at Homedale and I got to meet John and Debra McBean. They are two very nice and down to earth people. I got a quick tour of their factory. I was impressed - clean, organized and professional.

The plane felt comfortable and solid. I was surprised by how much I was enjoying the view and the responsiveness of the plane. Paul Leadaband was great. He knew the Kitfox inside and out.

Bottom line: If you are a big guy who likes to fly with another big guy - the SLA kitfox is comfortable, very responsive and fun to fly.

Default Re: A kitfox review from an ordinary guy

Thanks Jim for your review. Great endorsement for "if you fly it, you'll buy it".

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Bottom line: If you are a big guy who likes to fly with another big guy - the SLA kitfox is comfortable, very responsive and fun to fly.

MJim, Thank you for the review... it's great to read about the Kitfox from a newbie's perspective. I'm 6 feet, 190 (turning 50 y.o. next month, which is code for getting fatter by the month), oldest son is 6' 1" and about 170... so your review was particularly relevant.

I too am interested in the plane and look forward to meeting the Kitfox folks at Oshkosh this month.

Andrew
    NOKITFOXYET

The Kitfox 7 Super Sport has adjustable rudder pedals but then so does the model 5-7 so that should not be a concern. Cushions can also be used to move you closer to the pedals if there is not enough adjustment in them. Wish I weighed what you do but then I'd have to re-register my Kitfox as a helicopter.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Nathaniel,

Actually....the pedals will reach your feet......don't have to be concerned about your feet reaching the pedals....if you get the adjustable rudder pedals.

If you don't get the adjustables - the cable length can be customized for your reach - which can also be modified by making different dimension rudder links.

My Wife is 5' 3" and the adjustable rudder pedals work great for her. I am 5' 10" and and the same pedals adjusted for my height work perfectly.

Sincerely,

Dave S.

KF 7 Trigear

I'm not real tall, 30" inseam, in my model IV I made a thicker cushion for behind the seat (and incorporated a lumbar pad) which got my feet to reach full rudder deflection. I do not have any type of rudder adjustment other than changing the length of the rudder cables.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos