Being semi-retired and having flown my Glasair for 10 years (after taking 5 years to build it), I decided to build something different. I considered an electric aircraft project, but that seemed too much like my 30-year electrical engineering career at Lockheed Martin. The Kitfox SuperSport firewall-aft kit met what I wanted in an airframe, but I was looking for something special in an engine. The Rotec Radial was chosen to fill that need and the project began in June 2008 after a road trip (with trailer) to the Kitfox Aircraft facility at Homedale, ID. (see below photo of “some assembly required”).

SomeAssemblyRequired.jpg

I chose the following Kitfox SuperSport options:

• Powder coated fuselage and steel parts
  • Grove conventional landing gear
  • Bottom false ribs
  • Dual brakes
  • Adjustable rudder pedals
  • Airfoil tail

I chose to build the wing from parts rather than the quick-build option.

I followed the design and build of the kit with few exceptions. I designed and installed all the electrical systems, equipment and wiring using my experience in the electrical field. The battery and ELT were installed behind the baggage area to balance the radial engine weight (approximately 75 lb increase over the Rotax 912). I installed float sensors in the fuel tanks rather than the sight gauge. I also fabricated two fuselage tanks and filters so I could select the fuel source, have independent filters, and low point drains to help with folding wings (see header tank photo below).

HeaderTanksInstall.jpg

I added dual static ports in the aft fuselage.
I also used the stick HAT switch for pitch and roll trim and added a roll trim servo under the seat. (see roll trim servo photo below).

RollTrimServo.jpg

The engine installation was the largest design and build effort since there were no Kitfox-specific build instructions to follow. The Rotec installation instructions provided adequate criteria for the detail design. I designed a firewall layout on a worktable with the engine mount supporting the engine above the table. Each of the firewall components, controls and penetrations was “juggled” until all fit and could be maintained. I fabricated an oil tank assembly so it would fit forward of the firewall. The upper oil tank has a float sensor so I can use the Dynon instrumentto display oil level for preflight plus it incorporates the breather filter and fill port. The various filters, sensors, pressure regulator and controls were mounted on a panel attached to the tubular firewall. (see firewall mockup photo below).