Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: GreatPlanes VW reduction drive

Default GreatPlanes VW reduction drive

Hello Kitfox builders,

Can anyone tell me if a GreatPlanes VW engine can be used in any of the Kitfox models. This is a 85 to 95 hp engine. I will try to post some pictures of the engine and prop.

Thanks,
    John
    Great Plains Aircraft Supply’s 1915cc reduction drive airplane engine (www.greatplainsas.com). It has the Valley Engineering 1.6:1 reduction drive, the Great Plains type one accessory package (20 amp alt, high torque starter, Diehl case, and Bosch 009 distributor), and the Besse Aircraft intake with a Holley 350cfm carburetor. Ignition system included is the Compu-Fire (Dis-IX) 60,000+ Volts and an unopened box of (Red) 7mm Pertronix Flame Thrower wires. The ground adjustable Powerfin 72” type F propeller (strongest Powerfin makes) is also included. This engine was professionally built and is balanced to less than 0.5 grams (very smooth running engine).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Kropf; 10-05-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Default Re: GreatPlanes VW reduction drive

i have one of the 2:1 valley redrives and a direct drive vw that i was going to use in something else that never materialized. less money and light weight. dont see why you couldnt use it. the cowlings for these are awkward looking however and i never liked the lines of them. wide cylinder width about 5 in below prop line just makes it look awkward to me. unless it would fit inside the older round cowling it wouldnt be noticed. think width was 32 in rocker cover to rocker cover.

It looks like it would need a custom cowl. One with a hole in the top for the carb, and a hole in each side for the cylinders.
    John

There is a model 4 with a Great Plains direct drive engine in
    the Phoenix area. Performance seems good, and the owner
    is quite happy with it. Major change to the engine is the
    fitting of two 912 Bing carbs. I'll try to get some performance
    numbers from him at the Copperstate show.

dont need to have carb sticking up top. there are manifolds avail to put carb under oilpan. direct drive vw use very small dia props. ok for light slippery planes. think not so good for kitfox altho will be interested to hear how the k4 does with it.