Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Help, I think I soiled my carburetor.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Help, I think I soiled my carburetor.

huge bummer as I know you were ready to cross the finish line... but, obviously, it could have been worse... better to identify the problem during testing...

I was involved in the "plastic" gas tank industry a few years ago and learned a great deal about gas tanks and the lines that serve them. I was astonished to learn how much damage ethanol does to fuel systems. The Marine industry is suffering greatly. cross-linked poly eth. roto-molded tanks and non-coated aluminum tanks (ethanol does a number on the coatings within certain aluminum tanks) are the way to go now...

What type of tank did you use?

If the tank is ok... did you use a sealant in the fuel lines that perhaps migrated from the outside to the inside of the fuel line?

Hang in there... everyone's still healthy ; )

Sooooo, being the type to turn into the storm and remembering the post from DF4, I bought some carb cleaner and spent the day disassembling, cleaning and reassembling the carbs. I also cleaned out the intake manifolds which where quite sticky inside. I think I caught it early enough as it only took me one large can of cleaner and about 6 hours. My objective at 9:00 this morning was to test full power to confirm my prop pitch and balance the carbs with my CarbMate. Just came in from running the engine (clean fuel in the header tank), smooth and solid, achieved 5250 WOT (target > 5200). Did not get a chance to use the CarbMate but all in all a long day that no longer completely sucks.
    (will be running 100LL as soon as I get to the airport)
    Thanks DF4 and Andrew for the support
    Last edited by Dorsal; 06-13-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Glad you made quick progress Dorsal. Sounds like your engine is fine and making full power again. D@%#ed alcohol. Love it in my martini's, not in my fuel. The CarbMate will get it running like a fine Austrian watch.
    Wondering what that "sludge" would have done to a fuel injection system.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

kind of wondering why filters dont catch this crap before it get to the carbs ?
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I believe it is because it is in solution, when the atomized fuel coats the walls of the carb and intake manifold the fuel will vaporize depositing this stuff. I expect that the filter is clean (will replace anyway).
    Thats my theory.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

thats a reasonable explanation but since your building a model 7 , a person would think that youd have the latest tanks . so far weve been lucky , another kitfox and mine , and been able to get gas without alcohol . im sure a day will come when its not available . there is no common sense on the left coast
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

The tanks for my seven where probably built in 01-02 time frame, might have to swap them out someday but for now its 100LL and Decalin for me.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive