Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 582 consumption

Default Re: Rotax 582 consumption

WOT = wide open Throttle
    Stock muffler is the one supplied by Rotax and modified by Kitfox to make it fit in the cowl.

What kind of tach are you using ?

I use the Rotax tach, I suspect you use the tiny tach?

It's time for new videos, Dave :-)

What's your EGT?

Olaf

you got it -- Rotax tachs are not dependable.

EGT is perfect light brown spark plug - The indicated temperature is not a good way to compare as there are variables
    -not calibrated.
    -they are supposed to be calibrated at 70F

So when you fly at 0 F and the temp reads 1250 F that is not high but the same as flying in the summer at 70f the EGT will read 1180F

EGT is perfect light brown spark plug
    The same like mine....

So when you fly at 0 F and the temp reads 1250 F that is not high but the same as flying in the summer at 70f the EGT will read 1180F
    Of course, during cold temperature and more airtight you get more EGT, but I think, 1250F is to much for the 582.

Videos - I think I have covered alot of Kitfox ones and still got gigabytes of videos to make......... stay tuned
    I look forward to your Kitfox videos....

Quote Originally Posted by Olle1975 View Post
    The same like mine....

Quote:

Of course, during cold temperature and more airtight you get more EGT, but I think, 1250F is to much for the 582.
    1250 F is not too much but dependent upon the out side Temp, jetting etc.

Point is that the EGT gauges re not accurate as far as 1200 or 1250 but a good indicator of any changes inside the engine. Spark plug colour is your best indicator.

READ AGAIN >> So when you fly at 0 F and the temp reads 1250 F that is not high but the same as flying in the summer at 70f the EGT will read 1180F

hi everyone from a newbie, 582 fuel burn/performance...i fly a mk2 and recently put in a blue top but with c-box at 3.47-1 ratio together with kiev 183 prop, result brill 12lt/hr at 80mph cruise 2up and keeping egt's at a respectable 1150, it's a lot quieter and a lot smoother as well.
    Hope this helps.
    mike

I've found two nice videos about burning fuel during 6000 rpm and low EGT and about 5500 rpm and higher EGT. I think, the right rpm and EGT-temp is the way for a economic fly. The altitude is an additional reason.....

CLICK

CLICK Set a break after 10 sec.

Olaf

At 6000rpm your engine will be drinking fuel at an alarming rate so therefore you will have lower egt's......the trick is to find a balance between rpm,egt and fuel consumption, this will depend upon many factors,carb jetting,prop type and pitch,gearbox ratio, good plugs and ignition, carb balancing and of course,weather,altitude and how well it is flown.
    mike

Here a pic of my Spark plug colour after 25 hrs....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those plugs are looking pretty carboned up for 25 hours, not quite at the light tan color that's desireable. What is your EGT in cruise, and what type of instrument are you using to measure it?

Also, are you premixing oil or using the injection system?

Is this the condition just after returning from a flight, or was there considerable ground running time before you shut down?
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med