Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Airplane covers?

Default Airplane covers?

Hello all!

I'm another newbie to the Kitfox family, having just purchased a Model 4 1200 with 200 hours, completed just two years ago. I had never considered Kitfox until this one came up. Before purchasing, I thought I'd look into the Kitfox line and soon discovered TeamKitfox.com from which I gained considerable comfort just by reading the various posts.

I must say I was impressed by the genuine love and respect you all seem to have of your planes, regardless of model and by the depth of knowledge and experience available in this forum. I learned a lot about the Kitfox and its history and the fact there is a forum like this was definitely a factor in my decision to consider a Kitfox. I called the owner, took it for a test flight (loved it), had an A & P go through every inch of the plane...and bought it!

But I have a small dilemma; there is no hangar space available at our small airport (at least not under $350/mo), non-permanent shelters are not allowed and I do not want to leave it exposed to the elements. I also prefer not to have to trailer it home every time I use it, because I believe I will be flying it a lot!

Has anyone else run into a similar situation and how did you overcome it? Are there any wing/cabin/tail covers out there that may resolve this issue or would the constant use of same result in too much wear and tear?

Thanks!

Default Re: Airplane covers?

Papa Beach, I trailer mine home and yes it is a lot of monkey motion. Yes covers are available. My opinion is cabin and wing covers are for when you are away from your hangar for a night or two. A wise old aviator once told me, "You will pay for a hangar weather you have one or not".

I see by your picture you most likely have a tri gear kitfox. Here's an idea. You can just fold the wings. What I mean is just folding the wings takes less than 5 minutes. You don't need to load it on a trailer, attach wing lock back braces, wing support braces, secure the elevator and rudder, tie it down etc.

If you build a simple dolly to put the tail on when you fold her up you won't have to drain the fuel.

Maybe you can find someone with a hangar that you can share. A kitfox will fit under the wing of many spam cans and most any hangar has room in a corner for a kitfox with the wings folded. Maybe you can even find a space where you only need to fold one wing.
    Last edited by t j; 06-04-2010 at 06:02 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks TJ. Not the answer I'm looking for...but probably the correct one! I lost you on the dolly for the tail idea though as mine is in fact a trike which, I believe, would necessitate a trailer.

I had not considered that with wings folded, someone may let me squeeze into a hangar so will definitely explore that. Thanks again

Papa Beach said:
    I lost you on the dolly for the tail idea though as mine is in fact a trike which, I believe, would necessitate a trailer.
    When you swing the wings back weight transfers to the tail and a tri gear kitfox becomes a tail dragger. If you have much fuel in the wing tanks it will leak out the cap vents. Also, it is very easy to fold the wings with the tail supported in the level attitude. With a support with wheels...dolly...you can move it around easily after it is folded up.

It is not difficult but takes a little more attention to what you are doing when the tail is sitting on the ground. My kitfox's tail weighs 35 pounds in the level attitude. When the wings are folded it weighs about 175 pounds on the ground. Here's a picture of my "Tail wheel scoop...dolly" This would work on a tri gear too and might allow you to store it under the wing of say a Cessna 210. You would need to have no more than a couple gallons in the each wing tank though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I like pictures...and I like simple and the scoop seems simple and workable if I end up squeezing under somebody's wing.

Appreciate your time and insight. Gil