My story first... and then a question... thanks for taking the time to read this:

I worked at the Plymouth Mass airport as a kid in the 1970's... washed and waxed all kinds of aircraft for money, which I would promptly invest in flying lessons. Solo'd in a Grumman American AA 1B, which had the shopping cart nose wheel... and received my license flying a Pile Cherokee 140, with the big ol stubby wing... and eventually settled on renting 152's and 172's... I preferred the high wing airplanes.

Flying in coastal New England was a blast... the old guys used to tell me to "keep the United States to your right"... being not too smart and lacking in athletic ability, I could always get dates one evening on the way back from a quick dinner on Martha's Vineyard... we started smooching and after 10 minutes or so... Otis Airbase asked if I was "Going to Poland"... i.e. I was heading in the wrong compass direction. Suffice it to say, I loved flying in those days... and ended up with a bunch of time in an Enstrom helicopter too (I washed and waxed my little head off for those lessons)... flying was my life.

Then after school I went to work... and got married and had kids and remained somewhat respectable, which is code for flying took a back seat.

I'm approaching 50 this year and I never lost my love for flying... would drive around airports and before the 09-11 perimeter fencing, would roam the aerodromes, peak in the windows of the old Cessnas and Pipers and many fond memories would come barreling back.

So I'm at a point in my life that I want to begin flying again. I found my first logbook (lost my second logbook) and my private pilots license... and visited a local airport and familiarized myself with the cost of getting legal... but more important, re-learning all the new rules and skills of piloting in 2010...

I'm astonished how flying has NOT changed from an equipment perspective... the airports I visit still have the old planes tethered to the ground... however, in my day, there were no Kitfoxes or LSA's around... it's a good thing they are around because I don't have an interest in owning any of these conventional planes...

I've discovered that it's the journey that I'm attracted to... I am interested in flying low and slow and taking some cool trips with a family member. Flying to a grass strip and pitching a tent for a weekend and meeting other pilots sounds like a great time to me.

I've spent countless hours on the internet searching for the perfect plane for my interest. I believe it is the Kitfox. I don't have the time to build it... I built a small boat 7 years ago and invested 600 hours... and my shop reserve in this life is pretty much spent... my oldest son has special needs and I'd rather pay more $, and spend quality traveling/camping time with him than sitting in the dusty moaning chair with two wires in one hand and a fitting in the other wondering what the heck to do with them...

So now the question: Conventional vs Tricycle gear... I've read up on it a little bit and it looks like the big deal is crosswind handling... i.e. focus and agility during landings and takeoffs... ground loop potential is always there... but it looks like fun. I've gotta believe that the plane goes faster and burns less fuel setup as a tail dragger than the tricycle configuration... true?

Thanks in advance for any advice on conventional vs tricycle...

Meanwhile, Deb McBean is sending some information on their latest "factory built" series.