Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield cleaner

Default Windshield cleaner

Hi List,

What is a good product to use for cleaning the plastic windshield? Also, do any of you use a rain-x type product to bead off rain?

Thanks,
    Scott

Default Re: Windshield cleaner

sdemeyer ,..if you go to a motor cycle shop,..the windscreens on the motor cycles are lexan ,..if you have the lexan windshield ,..use the same product they offer ,.. the key ,..use only the products designed for lexan,..lexan being a hydro inhibited material ,..some products can fog the windshield if not designed specifically for lexan.

Chase

Plexus seemed to work very well. I've used that for years. Last year or so they doubled the price per can I so tried a lower cost product from my local FBO. Not as good as Plexus. Wants to streak and takes more rubbing. When I replace my windshield it's back to Plexus.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

[quote=SkyPirate;9040]sdemeyer ,..if you go to a motor cycle shop,..the windscreens on the motor cycles are lexan ,..if you have the lexan windshield ,..use the same product they offer ,.. the key ,..use only the products designed for lexan,..lexan being a hydro inhibited material ,..some products can fog the windshield if not designed specifically for lexan.

Chase[/quote

I'm not familiar with the differences in appearance between Lexan and Plexiglass. Is there a way to determine what I have?

Scott ,.chances are,..unless you have the acrylic preformed windshield,..your windshield is lexan,..
    Plexi glass is not commonly used in an area that has multi directional bends,..it will crack very easily with stress and or impact.
    If you have the builders log ,..it should tell you which windshield the builder installed ,..preformed or lexan. if it doesn't,..what year is your plane ..and when were the preformed windshields introduced? this could be a good indication,.. I have only dealt with the lexan widshields,..I've never messed with the preformed,..only heard some horror stories of the preformed windshields cracking during installation.

Chase

I am replacing a polycarbonate windscreen today, attached are the recommendations on the Lexan® protective film...

In addition to the cleaning agents noted on the Lexan film, other cleaning agents that have been found to be compatible with polycarbonate under laboratory conditions include: Brillianize, and Windex with Ammonia D.
    Mild (low-alkaline) liquid soap or detergent that have been found to be compatible with polycarbonate under laboratory conditions include: Dawn and Palmolive Liquid.

Maintain with Cleaner/polishers compatible with polycarbonate: Meguiars Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish, Cleaner & Detailer, Novus Plastics Polish #1, #2 and Plexus Plastic Cleaner and Polish. I can vouch for Plexus, used it on my Harley Road King windscreen.

Tip: If you want to test a cleaner/solvent, cut a few thin strips of scrap Lexan. Ever notice how you can fold polycarbonate back on itself without it breaking or cracking? Now dip it in some solvent, as briefly as you can. Wipe it off and try to bend it over on itself. If the cleaner/solvent is incompatible and induces chemical stress, instead of bending the strip will snap like hard plastic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

First of all, I have the molded aeroplastics, plexi windshield. So this may not apply for a lexan windscreen...

I use Pledge furniture wax on mine. It works very well and leaves a nice wax film that makes the bugs clean off easily. I've used Pledge wax on airplanes for years with great results. Ever since it was recommended by an A&P many years ago. (I also use it on my motorcycle windscreen.)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

[quote=Av8r3400;9050]First of all, I have the molded aeroplastics, plexi windshield. So this may not apply for a lexan windscreen...

I use Pledge furniture wax on mine.

Lemon Pledge was the product of choice in the old days. Most of the Kitfox guys used it. It not only cleans, but makes the bugs easier to get off.

Lowell

and it leaves a fresh lemon scent!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

OK...I've got to get in on the Lemon Pledge comments... Kudos's to the other LP supporters!

I've been using Lemon Pledge since back in the late 70's on all my motorcycles (over 470,000 miles...and my last Gold Wing had 97,000 miles when I sold it and the windshield looked like it was new), all my airplanes & gyro's, boats and hovercraft. ...ok...so I like it.

All "plastic" windshields can be easily damaged/scratched while trying to clean them...regardless of the product used. This is my method...

1) Spray the windshield (the dirtier/dustier) the heavier the spray,
    2) With a quality micro-fiber clothe, I use the fuzzy side to lightly wipe over the surface to pick up the crud that is now stuck to the Pledge, then move to the other side of the windshield and do the same thing,
    3) Flip the cloth to the "less fuzzy" side and gently (with light pressure) stroke the windshield in an up and down motion (never in a circle!) until the Pledge is dry and no longer streaking or visible after the wipe,
    4) If a dried on bug remains after the cleaning, I spray the bug and massage the Pledge in real good with my finger (I never recommend "scrapping"...but I will lightly use a fingernail...LIGHTLY...to break up the bug if the fingertip method is not working). Then using a little extra finger pressure with a CLEAN section of micro-fiber cloth...I will finish off the bug. Again, rubbing up and down. When the bug is gone...finish and polish the area as in #3.
    5) Apply Lemon Pledge frequently. If i have bugs on the windshield after I land...I spray it down with Pledge...give it a minute or two (while doing other things...like spraying the wings leading edges, lift struts, etc) and then finish the job using #'s 2 & 3.

I also use this on my prop. If I know I'm going to be taking off in tall grass or know there are a lot of bugs...I will spray the prop until wet and just leave it that way. Much easier to clean afterwards.

Last thought... NEVER...NEVER...NEVER clean your windshield with a previously used rag or a clean rag that has been sitting out, etc. Dust/dirt can collect in the fiber/weave of the fabric and cause scratches. Never use a T-shirt for cleaning...a clean/soft terry-cloth will work if no microfiber cloth is available. I have 4 yellow microfiber cothes that I have marked with "windshield" using a permanent marker. After they are washed and dried, they are folded and packed in a gallon size ziplock bag. My dirty (used only once or twice) clothes are place into another ziplock bag (to be returned to the house for washing). If I drop a windshield cloth to the ground/floor while cleaning, it immediately goes into the dirty windshild ziplock. Never take a chance on scratching the windshield!!! I NEVER use my windshield clothes on anything but the windshield. Props, paint, etc are a lot more forgiving than your windshield!

OK. I'm off my soap box for Lemon Pledge. .Good Stuff!
    Last edited by FlyboyTR; 06-01-2010 at 07:47 AM.