Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 2 points of wear

Default 2 points of wear

Looking for some opinions on 2 points of wear on the 7.

1. I am getting some wear on the muffler spring tabs. The tension of the stock springs are causing the holes to 'ovalize' as the springs essentially work their way through the tabs very slowly.

2. Similarly, on the tailwheel tabs. The tailwheel spring clips are very slowly working on the holes in the rudder's horns. Though much less than mufflers. I have my springs very slightly slack when centered so there is no constant tension on the tabs.

Any tricks to halt the wear short of waiting until new tabs have to be welded on?

Default Re: 2 points of wear

seems a pretty common fix is to install an42 or an43 eyebolts in the rudder horn and tail wheel steering arms . works good , one up one down even reduces the angle of the chains/springs
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Would anyone happen to know the proper grip length AN42 eyebolt (4,5,6,7) for Maul tailwheel steering arms. I'd like to order some of these but will not have access to the plane for several weeks to measure. Hate to get some too long and need to stack on washers.

Here's a link to a size chart for AN eye bolts.

Link
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Waged,

I can help on your first question. The wear on the exhaust spring holes is caused by the springs vibrating - best way to minimize that (you probably cannot totally prevent it) is put a bead of red RTV into the full length of each spring on both sides. I also ran a safety wire through the spring - the idea is if the spring ever breaks, that will hold the exhaust together for a bit and also keep teh spring parts from getting in things under the cowl. So far I still have round holes where the springs hook. Both ideas came from EAA tech counselors I knew. I keep some extra springs in my on board parts kit.

Sincerely,
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by cap01 View Post
    seems a pretty common fix is to install an42 or an43 eyebolts in the rudder horn and tail wheel steering arms . works good , one up one down even reduces the angle of the chains/springs
    I was debating doing this on mine but I was worried about the torsional force this would create on the horns. Do you think that is something to worry about?

(The original post on this thread was in 2010…)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by gregsgt View Post
    I was debating doing this on mine but I was worried about the torsional force this would create on the horns. Do you think that is something to worry about?
    Greg,
    In my opinion, no. It will minimize the upward bending force on the arms at the same time that the small amount of torsional force is created. The moment arm is very small. I do think that the biggest advantage to using eye-bolts is eliminating the wear on the holes in the arms of the tailwheel. The eye-bolts can be replaced much more easily & cheaply than a control horn. I admit that it's probably not much of an issue either way, but I like the eye-bolts. I like the S.S. ones... can usually find them cheap at OSH. I install them on both the rudder horns & on the tailwheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks for the Link. I assumed lots of guys were using these rather than having the rudder and tailwheel horns wallowed out. This old thread is relavent and I used it to give some background (points of wear). One recommendation was to place the eyebolts up on the rudder and down on the tailwheel horns. I don't know about that ? I'll figure it out.