Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Questions about used Classic 4's

Default Questions about used Classic 4's

Hello everyone...newbee here...from Canada(eh). I'm looking for a used 4,and need advice. Is a 1050 classic 4 worth the same as a 1200? If a KF is well maintained, is 500 hrs total time alot?what is alot? Is a KF from the early 1990's still a good plane or have there been upgrades that make something around 2005 better? How do I buy one when I'm 20 hrs. away(by car) and will need to buy sight unseen? And last(for now), do people sell these at Oshkosh? Thanks, Dan

Default Re: Questions about used Classic 4's

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum, No a Model 4 1050 is not worth as much as a Model 4 1200 (IMHO) and no if well maintained 500 hrs is not much time, and year of manufacture 1990 vs a 2005 all depends are they both the same model IE model 4 1200's or is one a model 4 vs a model 5 were they both hangared and equally maintained lots of factors there. This is me but I would never buy sight on seen pictures can be deceiving very deceiving at the very least have and independent party do a pre-buy inspection, just a thought but a plane that is 20 hrs away by car will cost perhaps $1000.00 to get home so one that is closer for more money may end up being less expensive. Generally there are planes for sale at Oshkosh. Good luck with the search.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Thanks,Mnflyer...I'm about 5 hrs. north of your location(if your still south central Minn.). Do you know if there are many KF's around your/our area? I just started looking, so I don't know how fast I need to be or how close to our area one is likely to become available(or how good one is for the price being asked). Do the KF 4's at Oshkosh go for reasonable prices or are the prices jacked up because it's at the event? Does anyone know how many (on average) might be for sale? I'm good with a 582...the 4 cycles are too much money. How do I get a plane checked out that isn't close to me? Don't the KF's in the USA need to get annual inspections? Man...do I ask alot of questions! Thanks alot,everyone! Dan

Hi Dan, at the present I don't know of any Kitfox's near me that are for sale, but I haven't been looking either. Yes I'm still in west central MN probably about 5 hrs from you. I'm sure the prices at Oshkosh are inflated sellers thinking that its a great time to sell. I guess if you found a plane you are interested in posting on this site asking if someone could/would do a pre-buy would be one way, yes annual condition inspections are required here in the US but that not always a guaranty of a good clean plane (it could have had an inspection 11 months ago and had serious problems since then).
    Asking questions is the only way to learn and get the information you need, I do the same when I'm looking for something. Are you only interested in a model 4 or would say a good model 3 be of interest or say a model 5, I'm just asking as that opens up the choices a lot. I did see a model 3 over in Wisconsin on barnstormers.
    GB

Model 5's are too heavy for me...we are only allowed 1200 lbs. for Cdn. "basic ultralight" category and 1232 lbs.(I think) for Cdn. "advanced ultralight". Hopefully,someone on this site will know of a 4 that they would vouch for. As far as Mod.3's,I imagine that they are worth less than the Mod.4-1050?...Dan

Hi Dan, I personally don't that there would be much difference in value of a model 3 or a model 4 1050, the only real difference is the wing design and if a better cruise speed is wanted than the 4 is a better choice, if shorter TO roll and climb is wanted the 3 maybe a better choice. I really enjoy my model 3 and if I were to change it would have to be a 4 1200 wouldn't even think of a 4 1050 as I feel it would not be any type of upgrade just my opinion.
    GB

If you find a model 4 1050 you are interested in be sure to ask the seller to see the weight and balance sheet. Do some sample load calculations to confirm that it will meet your needs.

There are very good deals that pop up on barnstormers occasionally. I seem to remember several in the past year. I'm talking 1050 model 4's with 582 in the mid teens, 1050s and 1200s with 912 in the low to mid 20s. These deals don't last long, usually only a day or so. That will be a problem for you if you don't find a local contact quickly.

Watch barnstormers like a hawk and be patient. click on search and type in Kitfox. There are several on there right now that I would consider hot deals if I was looking.

There are some differences in the size of the vertical fin and rudder between the Model 4 1050 and the model 4 1200/classic 4. You can see the straight scoop here http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/Model%20IV.htm
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder