Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Aerobatics

Default Lite Aerobatics

Has anyone qualified their Kitfox in phase 1 for simple aerobatics? I used to enjoy the occasional loop, role or split-s in my Vari-EZ years ago and I imagine the Fox is quite capable of this also staying within the g-limits. If I ever wanted to do this I believe I would need to make it part of my phase-1 testing.
    Any thought or comments appreciated.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Light Aerobatics

Dorsal,

I have been looking into the same. [ This video shows how to do it ]

The operating limitations in my KF specifically prohibit aerobatics.
    I don't know exactly what the procedure is in this case. I believe I need to contact the FAA and a DAR, notify what my intentions are, put the plane back in Phase I and have a test plan that includes the aerobatic maneuvers I want to be approved.
    Won't do that until I have 70 or 80 hours in the plane.

Roberto Waltman.

Oops!, missing the video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=513UTHqoZBc

Trying to answer my own questions, some information from the governmental horse's mouth:

See "Airworthiness Certification for Amateur-Built Aircraft"
    http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/u...teur_built/aw/

Download the PDF for Order 8130.2F, "Airworthiness Certification of Aircraft and Related Products"
    See section 7, "General Experimental Airworthiness Certifications"
    See paragraph 135.d, "Aerobatics." (Page 157)

Roberto Waltman.

Dorsal, just looked in my aircraft log book and it does have an entry noting at 13 hours into the Phase 1 testing I took my Model 4 through spins,loops,rolls and stalls. That was on the 2nd day of flying after sign off by the DAR. First day has 7.1 hours of flying. Had 40 hour flown off by end of 6th day. It went well.
    My Model 4 does nice loops, ok rolls (more of a pilot problem than the Kitfox) and spins well with fast recoveries.

I think you're right about it needing to be done in Phase 1 or those maneuvers are prohibited as noted in your operating limitations. I remember my DAR asking on first inspection if I planned on doing limited aerobatics.
    I think he gave me the "statement" to note in my log book.

I have a question. Since the "aerobatics" I have listed in my log book specify only loops, rolls, spins and stalls, are hammerheads, wing overs ect. still prohibited in my Kitfox. My instinct is yes they are prohibited since not demonstrated in Phase 1.
    Always learning.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

> I have a question. Since the "aerobatics" I have listed in my log book specify only loops, rolls, spins and stalls, are hammerheads, wing overs ect. still prohibited in my Kitfox.

My (limited) understanding is that they are prohibited.
    From Order 8130.2, mentioned in my previous post:

"(2) Aerobatic maneuvers that have been demonstrated in the assigned flight test area should be documented in the aircraft records.
    Only those aerobatic maneuvers that have been successfully accomplished should be permitted after leaving the assigned flight test area."

Roberto Waltman.

At initial airworthiness inspection tell the DAR you want to test aerobatics and request that they allow for it in the phase one operating limitations.

If your phase one testing is done and you want to test some more maneuvers and operating limitations allow aerobatics during phase one you just put the plane back into phase one and test those maneuvers. I would call the FSDO and tell them I was doing that and ask how many hours they want on new test testing phase.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Good info, thanks. The video should prove useful as my DAR wanted evidence that the plane is capable . From those who have done this sort of thing, any insights on approach speeds for various maneuvers?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Dorsal ,..that will depend on your final weight of your plan as to the entry speeds etc,..into mild aerobatics,..one thing to keep in mind is the carbs are float carbs,..and any maneuvers should be executed with limited time at negative or zero G loads inverted,..as a rule I would count to 10 for max zero or negative g loads times,..,..say go inverted and hold your "arc" of a long loop right at zero G,..before the count to 10 is up you better be taking on some positive G's before the bowls run dry
    in my model 2,..the entry speed for a loop was 70 mph,..I could do it at 60 mph ..but chances are I would fall off at the top not making a circle,..but more of an oval loop,..with a count of 2 for zero G load at the top ,.. and at around 52 mph until she crested over picking up speed.
    this of course will all depend on how tight you make your loop too,..you'll know your speed for the top once yo do a power on stall,..try to keep your loop speed at the top plus 5 or better of power on stall speed ,..
    hammer heads,..was ussually a count of 3 at zero G before she started flying again

Chase

Chase,
    Thanks for the input, and yes I plan on staying "positive" through all maneuvers. Good tip on the power-on stall, not something I had to worry about in a Vari EZ.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive