Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light Aerobatics

Default Re: Light Aerobatics

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    The video should prove useful as my DAR wanted evidence that the plane is capable .
    A few things....

1- The Kitfox is not aerobatic.

2- The DAR does not need evidence that it is capable.. you are the manufacture of the aircraft and as such can request the limitations allow for aerobatics. Which aerobatics are allowed depends one which ones you allow and perform during the phase one.

3- If you are going to allow them.. Make sure that your limitations do not prohibit aerobatics and if it allows them you need to perform the ones to be allowed during the phase one fly-off period.

There should be a paragraph in the limitations that reads something like:

This aircraft may conduct aerobatic flight in accordance with the provisions of 91.303. Aerobatics shall not be attempted until sufficient flight experience has been gained to establish that the aircraft is satisfactorily controllable and in compliance with 91.319(b). The aircraft may only conduct those aerobatic flight maneuvers that have been satisfactorily accomplished during flight testing and recorded in the aircraft maintenance records by use of the following or a similarly worded statement: "I certify...
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Dorsal, just looked in my aircraft log book and it does have an entry noting at 13 hours into the Phase 1 testing I took my Model 4 through spins,loops,rolls and stalls. That was on the 2nd day of flying after sign off by the DAR. First day has 7.1 hours of flying. Had 40 hour flown off by end of 6th day. It went well.
    My Model 4 does nice loops, ok rolls (more of a pilot problem than the Kitfox) and spins well with fast recoveries.

I think you're right about it needing to be done in Phase 1 or those maneuvers are prohibited as noted in your operating limitations. I remember my DAR asking on first inspection if I planned on doing limited aerobatics.
    I think he gave me the "statement" to note in my log book.

I have a question. Since the "aerobatics" I have listed in my log book specify only loops, rolls, spins and stalls, are hammerheads, wing overs ect. still prohibited in my Kitfox. My instinct is yes they are prohibited since not demonstrated in Phase 1.
    Always learning.
    Do you have the maneuver entry speeds documented in your
    Phase I paperwork?
    I’ve applied for aerobatics in mine.

Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Jon, no entry speeds were documented in the operating limitations.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear