Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox IV ceiling.

Default Kitfox IV ceiling.

Wondering how high my KF will be able to climb.
    (Yes, of course, I will try it and find out by myself as soon as I can.)

Kitfox-IV speedster, HKS-700E engine (60HP), 3-blade Powerfin propeller.
    Empty weight around 600 pounds.

What performance figures are you guys getting with similar configurations?

Thanks,

Roberto Waltman

Default Re: Kitfox IV ceiling.

here's a graph I made during my flight testing. Classic 4 with 52 horse 503.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by t j; 05-06-2010 at 06:51 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I don't care how high other people fly their kitfox's. I have a personal ceiling of 1000'agl

Thanks TJ - your graph made me think it would be a good idea to create a repository for KS's performance data in a format that would help people find and/or interpolate figures applicable to their particular configuration.
    Will put on the thinking cup on this one ...

Slyfox - Yeap, I can see that a 1000' AGL limit can be fun running down a canyon in Idaho, but not when flying over North New Jersey, (too many trees, too many hills, too many houses, too little anything else), not with my wife on board.

High can be fun too. One of my more enjoyable flights was one of my solo cross-country when I was working on my private ticket. Flying back from Abilene to Forth Worth, in a Cessna 152. Had enough fuel, had enough time, so I climbed to 12000 (took forever) followed by gliding down to 2000 (to get under Dallas class B,) while doing a slalom in slow motion, zig zagging between clouds that rose from 2 or 3K to well above the 12K I had reached before.

Looking forward for an encore presentation, in a Kitfox ...

Roberto Waltman

when I run a canyon I fly lower than that. I stay at 1000ft agl because that's the min legal over populated areas, if it was lower I would do it. I just turn and avoid the trees and such, I look out the window

A friend of mine sent me a picture a while back of his KF IV - 912UL. He was at 17,200 or so and still climbing...

One of the signs of Hypoxia is a lack of awareness that there's anything wrong...aka: denial! Why anyone would WANT to fly that high, especially with this aircraft being a land lover (Low Altitude, STOL FUN) is beyond me. Great performance though, isn't it! Good to know you can just in case you run into that opportunity for a high altitude mountain rescue! What an amazing plane!! Love it guys...keep it up!
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

> Why anyone would WANT to fly that high, especially with this aircraft being a land lover (Low Altitude, STOL FUN) is beyond me.

a) For the occasional long distance flight, to catch a good tailwind, fly above B/C/D airspace, etc.

b) For safety. One route that will became 'a regular' for me, is from my base field to Block Island, (http://www.airnav.com/airport/KBID.) Ten miles over water, crossing the Long Island sound. I could do it at 500', I guarantee y
    ou I will not.
    I wouldn't go for this trip unless I know for sure that, if I have any engine trouble, I am high enough to glide to safety on either side.
    The same for flying from New Jersey to upper New York state or Vermont over the Catskills. There is no place to land there. Altitude can save you.
    c) To know what the performance and limitations of your plane are.

d) For fun! There is low fun, there is middle fun, there is high fun...
    Roberto Waltman

I guess if I'm flying over water like that, I would take the life perserver out of the boat and wear it, it has self inflate if put into water. might even have the doors open, sounds like a fun flight 10ft off.

> ... if I'm flying over water like that ... sounds like a fun flight 10ft off.

Mmm... I'm beginning to see your point.