Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radial Nirvana

Talking Radial Nirvana

This morning broke like so many others here in the Valley of the Sun. Bright sunshine, very high wispy Cirrus barely able to filter even a smidgeon of the Suns intensity. Activity at DVT already high with numerous training aircraft circling like condors in the pattern. Try and squeeze out between well used and abused blue and white Piper Archers and Seminoles.
    Heading for Thunder Ridge Airpark to rendezvous ( I think that's a French word) with Phil and Bill. After many months of yearning and a couple weeks of planning, the planets finally aligned, or was it personal day planners finally aligned?
    Anyway we met at Thunder to take a certain website administrator for a much anticipated flight in one of the most beautiful Kitfox model 4's to take flight in some time. Bill's airborne artwork arrived in tight formation with Phil Laker's gorgeous Super Sport 7 who's good looks, comfort and stellar performance you've heard me go on about many times.

100_6049.jpg

After a few minutes on the ground and with the peculiarities of the engine attended to (oil cleared of the bottom cylinders), it's time to take in the joys of radial engines. Start up: ignitions off, fuel pump checked, crank engine several blades then throw the juice to her and a quick start with the prerequisite belch of smoke (don't you just love it) and she's running like a fine Australian watch. Phil sits down in the shade while we go play for a few minutes.
    The Rotec is already warmed up so a brief pre-takeoff checklist is attended to by Bill. Don't ask me what it was as I was just soaking in the ambiance of a 1930's era aircraft. Now if we could just get AV-gas back to 1930's prices. No visibility over the nose. Kind of like a Corsair that way but S-turns make taxing safe. I remember doing that.

Takeoff happened quickly and the acceleration was , well, it pushed me into the seat back like no other Kitfox I've flown or ridden in. That big long prop. really bites. Bill had no problem keeping the nose down the middle of the blacktop strip as the tail came up and weight was shifting. Tail up , nose up and off we go and even with the higher heat and two aboard with a fair amount of fuel we still climbed out 800 fpm plus with ease.
    Barely off the end of the runway and it's my aircraft. First job was to keep the rpms at 3200 to 3300. Trim out the climb setting from the elevator and this thing flew hands off. It soon became apparent that this Model 4 felt closer in handling characteristics to the Super Sport than to my Model 4. Found out Bill opted for the new style flapperons which load up slightly heavier feeling than the old style flapperons like mine. After flying Phil's Super Sport so much it felt great. I'm not much for straight an level in a Kitfox for long so I get to turning right away. Now we're getting acquainted. How do you do Kitfox. Nice to finally meet you.

Several minutes of gentle to steep turns and it's time to climb up for some stalls. Shortly we arrive at a safe altitude for basic stall evaluations. First one is power off. I'm used to seeing mine break at about 43 mph indicated. This one went right on down past 43mph and then some. What's going on. Finally about 33 mph she bobbled a little. Release a little back pressure and away we fly. Didn't even add power yet. Do another to make sure I saw it correctly . Yep. 33 mph. What's up? This is a model 4 like mine and I know that round thing out front makes its empty weight more. Bill says throw the power to it and haul it back for a takeoff/departure stall. Well the angle of attack is surprising even for a seasoned Kitfox flyer. With all this hp and torque it's got to flip over on it's back the second it breaks. Not sure I'm going to get a stall as the airspeed bleeds down to 33mph. Now what? I see it start to depart right at 30 mph. No violent roll , just a well behaved easily controlled "bobble". Nose down and it's another non-event. These things are amazing.
    A couple nice lazy big spirals down to bumpy air again I reluctantly turn it back over to it's creator and back in we go. Bill handles it like he was born in it. A great wheel landing with a light cross wind and busy feet keep it pretty much where he wants it. I've been flying tri-gear predominately since I completed my Model 4 in 2003. Even with 1200 plus hours in Kitfox taildraggers and a couple hundred in J-3 Cubs I wonder if I could still do that. Keep it down the center like that. Rust accumulates even in the driest desert.

Phil and Bill have a busy Sunday lined up so we 3 ship launch for Wickenburg for fuel. Some air to air photos are in order.

100_6089.jpg

Taxing up to the fuel pumps and already folks are heading toward the Kitfox's. Bill says fuel stops are an event everywhere he goes. Plan extra cross country time if you install one of these engines on your Kitfox. It's just a part of the deal. Fuel, talk, clean the windshield, talk, get receipt, talk more radial talk. You better be a "people person" if you fly Rotec powered Kitfox's. Ask Joe Meyeres about it. I'm sure with his beautiful Rotec powered 4 he will attest to this phenomenon.

100_6101.jpg

Bill leads us out of Wickenburg as a tight 3 ship. Man , the prop wash from that thing is major. We part company a few miles South of Wickenburg and they head back to Chandler and me back to DVT. It's another great day in the life of a Desert Fox Squadron member.

Thanks to Bill P. and Phil Laker for the chance to fly another unique aircraft. I'm tallying up quite a resume.

The ability to choose so many power plants to fit your ideal flying vision is just one of things that makes a Kitfox stand out from all the rest.
    Fly safe, fly often and fly as many different Kitfox's as you can. It's the cats pajamas. They used to say that in the 30's didn't they?

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: Radial Nirvana

Thank's for the story,,,that's what i look for.....for convaince me to buy ROTEC engine....

That is the bees knees, no doubt about it. Thanks for sharing. More please???

kebo

Wow. Old thread. It was a blast to fly even thinking about it three years later.
    I couldn't imaging back in 2010 that Bill could build a sweeter aircraft than 'Little Red" however, he did. "Big Red" turned out just as or even nicer than the Rotec powered Four. Simple and functional or a spectacular show-plane award winner. The modern Kitfox can fit any "Bill".

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Is Bill P. the same as Bill Prokes of the Laker Leading Edge thread. If so, the description of the Power on stall is interesting. My leading edge is a home brew aluminum set-up and the power on stalls on my new Model IV are much more docile than my first one - They could really be an adventure. Now if I keep the bubble centered, the stall is very gentle. It would seem that Mr. Riblett knows his stuff.
    Lowell

Is Bill P. the same as Bill Prokes of the Laker Leading Edge thread.
    Yes. Same Bill.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

The Rotec sure is pretty, and that's a fact...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I've read this post many times. I just ran across it again today, man I love that plane. I'd love to fly one!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

It is as stated, a great machine to commit aviation in.
    Haven't flown it since but it still quietly whispers my name every time I walk by it.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

A great plane to commit aviation in! I really like that way of saying I'm going to go flying! I'll try that on Dorothy next week when I get out of bed!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas