Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912s mount question

Default 912s mount question

Help from those who have gone B-4...

I have mounted the 4 braces across the top and bottom of the 912s engine. The intake manifolds are off. As I try to fit my firewall mount ring to the 4 attachment points on the engine, I find the waterpump and or the starter in the way. The instructions don't indicate a need to remove either of these. Have others found the need to remove these?
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Default Re: 912s mount question

Hi Dan,

It's been a while but I do remember having to remove the water pump to get the engine mount ring on the engine. In fact, I had to reposition/clock some of the hose attach barbs on the water pump to route to be able to route the hoses around the engine mount ring. I don't remember having to remove the starter motor, although on our Series 6, it had a couple of mounting feet on the back side that interfered with the routing of one of the exhaust pipes. They didn't mount to anything, probably a starter motor Rotax uses in multiple engine applications. Anyway, I cut them off with a Sawzall.

I hope this helps. If you need we could send you some pictures of our installation.

Aaron Whitaker
    Tremonton, Utah

If you need to adjust the hose barbs on the water pump I recommend taking them off, cleaning and putting new sealant on. One of the barbs on mine was adjusted without doing this and it compromised the seal and it leaked. On my engine the bottom left barb needed to be adjusted to fit the engine mount.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Aaron and Dorsal,
    Thanks for the replys. I took the starter off and that made some room...but not quite enough. I just hate breaking that perfectly good water pump seal but it looks like a go.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

OK...here it is...the big secret to how that engine mount ring is best put in place. The instructions (the ones I have for the 4) only get you close. Maybe the Super Sport instructions are up-dated.

1. Get your 4 brace mounts (2 top, 2 bottom) drilled out and fit.
    2. Take the starter off. Be carefull not to pull the back cap off of the starter as this is where the brushes are. They are spring loaded and will take some time getting back into place.
    3. You should not need to take the water pump off. It is a bit tight, but the ring mount should make it around the pump.
    4. Go grab a second person. I'm sure others have figured out how to do this alone, but a second set of hands will be helpfull.
    5. Gather all the washers and rubber isolators and put them together on the ring mount. You may want to use a little masking tape to keep them together.
    6.Thread your ring mount over the back of the engine and get it close to where it will be secured.
    7. Begin with the bottom brace bars...take them off of the engine (one at a time) and fit them onto their respective ring mount. Put the bolt up through the bottom just like the instructions show. Attach the rear of the brace to the engine with its bolt. Then do the other side.
    8. Go to the top of the engine and follow the same proceedure (remember bolt drops through the top here). This is where you can use that second set of hands in order to line up the bolt holes to the engine. You will more than likely be fighting the spring here that the rubber mounts generate.

Hope this helps and saves a couple hours of head-scratching.

Ring Mount2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ