Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Primer

Default Primer

I have gone through 5 pimer pumps in the last year. Check valve quits working. Anyone elso have this problem, and if so what is the fix.

Default Re: Primer

easiest fix is a squeeze ball primer,..though not the prettiest.
    or install a seperate check valve as close as possible on the intake side of the primer pump,..the smaller the better. but not smaller then line that feeds it.

Chase

Hi I only had one go bad in the 9/10 years I had one on my Kitfox, but I do know that a used one is no good if they have been installed and removed even if only used once or twice unless you take out of one application and install it right away, if they set of more than a couple of weeks dry they don't work or fail shortly.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

I have thought about removing the primer completely and install 12 volt pump with a push button switch connected to a pressure switch in line past the pump that can be set to desired pressure,..hit the switch ..pump turns on..applies pressure to the primer line and activates pressure switch which kills power to the pump,..you'd have to reduce the primer inject port's size to gain some pressure ,..which would be ok because it would probably force the fuel to a mist instead of a quick shot of fuel like a primer pump does.

Question Re: Primer

Silly question: Why do you need a primer?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

the one thing about a primer,.if you ever loose your fuel pump ..you can keep the motor running with a primer ..or squeeze ball ..etc

With a high wing airplane the engine should stay running anyway (though not a full power), that is why you don't see electric pumps in some high wing craft.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

yes some have the vacuum operated pumps instead of electric too,.. I won't need a primer ..and if I had one it wouldn't do me any good with electronic fuel injection,..but there has been times I was either squeezing that ball or pumping the primer to stay in the air long enough to get her to a safe place to land always a 2 stroke that I had to do this with.