Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Real world weight

Default Real world weight

Hi,

I'm seriously considering the KitFox Super Sport and wondering what some of you have found for "real world" weights for the Super Sport. I plan to install an older O-200 engine. I would prefer a Rotax 912, but I have the O-200 and can't afford a Rotax. If the gross weight is 1550 lbs I am interested in what the difference is between that and empty weight. Comparisons of similar kitfoxes are welcome!

I do have a trip scheduled to the factory in May to take a look.

Any info will be appreciated....

Tommy Walker in Alabama
    N7462M
    N8701
    N8701T

Default Re: Real world weight

Tommy,

This is not an easy question to answer because there is no typical weight since most of us never build a plane with quite the same assemblage of accessories and features; however, the series 7 with the C-O-200 should weigh about 100# more than the same plane with a Rotax. Just a wild elbow guess on my part; but a series 7 with the C-O-200 would likely weigh no less than 850 pounds dry and empty if you are real, real careful with stuff you put on the plane and will probably be more like 900; or 900 + if you have lots of stuff added.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Tommy,

I installed the Continental 0-200 on my SS and the empty weight was about 875 lbs. This weight reflects the fact that I really didn't try to make the plane light weight except that I installed a light weight starter & alternator, Sensenich composite prop and the Dynon D-180. I have the fully extended baggage area, 8.50 tires, 1550 Grove gear, dual adjustable brakes/rudder pedals and Alaska tail wheel. So I added a fair amount of weight with those options. My friends series 7 with a Rotax 912ULS only weighs about 30 lbs. less and he also has the heavier gear, 8.50 tires, Alaska tail wheel and a 3 bladed Ivo medium in-flight adj. prop.
    I didn't worry too much about the empty weight since the plane already has great performance and a high gross weight. I simply wanted a very nicely equipped, comfortable plane.

Sincerely,
    Mike Custard

Real World Weight Kitfox N703KA, 789.7 lbs.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

100 lbs for an Cont is about right since mine has a 912 ULS
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thanks for the replies. If I can get out with less than 900# empty weight, I will be good to go....

If/when we go ahead with this project, I'm sure we will be trying to pick your brains about the best way to go during construction.

Thanks again,

Tommy Walker in Alabama
    N7462M
    N8701
    N8701T