Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meyeres View Post
This is in response to John Baker on his comment of the Rotec 2800 vs Rotax 912. I have a Classic IV with the Rotec on the nose swinging a wooden 70" Climb Pitched Sterba Prop. At full power straight and level I am seeing 127 MPH, 75% power is 105 to 110 MPH and 65% yeilds around 90 to 95 MPH. I don't know what the Rotax will give you, but if you are looking for speed out of an airplane, the Kitfox is not the greatest choice. It's got alot of drag and the tube and fabric construction some would consider not as durable. However, I would not give up the aesthetic value achieved by putting the Rotec on the nose. It is "robust" and you can not match the sound it delivers. As for the speed... it's a Kitfox, but it sure not the slowest one to the party! I get alot of comments that it looks somewhat like a Beaver or Monocoupe. In my way of thinking, that's not bad company to be in!!! Pictures and videos are available on the Rotec Website at www.rotecradialengines.com
Hey, didn't say I PREFERRED a Rotax. Heck, I'm using Jabiru in my project. I just have a hard time understanding how a much heavier engine, with larger frontal area, and about the same horsepower can be faster. My theory can't stand up to your facts, though. Must be the prop.

I'm with you, anyway. If I could afford one, I'd take the aethetics over a few knots any day, even if it was slower.

Make me wonder what it could do with a good cowl. If you could just figure out how to make one out of plexiglass!