Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welding and repairs used Kitfox

Default Re: Welding and repairs used Kitfox

you will need to get a new AWC after your all done with repairs but the old one would be good document to have,..I'd get all of the paper work available first ,..then go from there,..I'm sure from what you have said about the planes condition that the present owners have not kept the paper work in order as well,..if your missing anything ,..you should ask the owners which office they used when they first did all the paper work ,..contact them for missing documents ,..they have an archive and should be able to get you what you need ,..just saves allot of guess work knowing which office was used. if it was actually registered.
    Your basically going to have to look at this as a new first time rigistration ,..it might be required that you do a new phase 1,...especially if major reconstruction is involved,..any original phase 1 documents,..a big plus if available,..the original pilots log book if an airframe log book isn't available,. should have this and possibly a copy could be aquired of the times and fly test's done,..have you got the serial number from the present owner? you can do a quick back ground check on the serial number or tail number if it was previously registered.
    I recently helped someone on the forum that had similar issues ,.. he has got it all in order now,..even though allot is said about the FAA in a negative way,..the offices are more then willing to help with previous owned/registered aircraft to get all in order concerning documentation ..it also makes their jobs easier getting it right.

Chase

I am not an expert but why would this require a new
    AWC. Most operating limitations require contact a FSDO for a phase 1 if incorporating a Major change not a major repair. If the plane has a valid AWC and operating limitations woudn't you just need to make a log book entry and a new weight and balance. Then have an A & P do a condition inspection. Please enlighten me as I'm a newbie.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

I'm no expert either Nick ,..best to prepare for the worst ,..

an example ,..here in MO ,..the DAR charged a friend $500.00 to come do his thing ,..I never heard of this in NH ,..it was always free.
    Glad I know this now though since I'm getting closer to DAR time.

Chase

your more then welcome P-17 ,..glad I could help,..I know your excitement
    I'm building a plane ,..my own design this time, a 4 place tail dragger,.. can't wait to get her in the air
    still got some time before the paperwork end hits me, although I do have a reserved N number. and went thru a similar situation that your facing once ,.it's really not all that bad to get it right,..just takes a little time ,..which you'll have during the repair process,..just don't do the final registration until you 3 months or so from flying,..no sense on paying tax on a bird that's not flying yet. (if your state has a tax on aircraft) I've learned that MO does. NH does not . don't know about other states yet

Yeah Chase around here it used to be the fsdo job to do it for free. Now they don't want to touch it. You have to get a DAR.

The reason I posted earlier is why do more than you have to. If the plane has a N number, and AWC and log books why go through the whole process again and fly 40 hrs off. To me it seems simpler to just make a log book entry do a W&B and get a condition inspection. Now all this assumes your not doing a major change ie. same engine same prop. Just my $0.02
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

agreed Nick,..don't do it if you don't have to,..unless major changes are done and it's required. I'm all for the less paper work the better ,..the less the authorities know the better too hence my nickname ..skypirate

PA-17, I sense a little bit of confusion creeping in on the operation limitations. Operating limitations are issued as part of the Airworthiness Certificate and must be kept in the aircraft with the Airworthiness certificate.

The operating limitations do vary from inspector to inspector. Each FSDO has a different intrepretation of what needs to be included in the operating limitations and each inspector...FSDO employee or DAR...has a different interpretation of his/her FSDO's interpretation.

Most importantly, the operating Limitations spell out specifically what the owner must do when making changes to that particular aircraft. Some require written notification to the FSDO and some do not.

If the owner of the aircraft does not have the operating limitations I would get the FSDO on board with me on getting a copy of them before purchasing.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Most sources recommend an ER80S-D2 or
    ER70S-2 wire for MIG welding 4130.

I know it's going to be time consuming, but I am seriously thinking of drilling a very small hole in each tube of the fuselage, and injecting a thinned boiled linseed oil to prevent internal corrosion.

Regards
    Rodney

To: All:
    I guess after all your help and my questions to the owner he thinks he has anothe local buyer. I suspect he was not able to come up with the airframe log book. I don't know if that should be a deal breaker or not but I told him it was. Without the log you just don't know if any service bulletines have been complied with and you don't know if the airframe has been damaged in the past. If I am wrong let me know. It is a downer after all the exchanges with the owner,especially since he contacted me. There is another one in my area but the owner just never returned any of my calls. That is a early model no 2 and it is starting to go to pot also but it is in a tee hangar and looks better. Oh well back to the drawing board. I would like to thank everyone that took the time to answer all my questions. I do appreciate your input. Maybe I will find another at a good price. As I said earlier. If it sounds to good to be true it usually is.

Thanks

Nick ..going thru the paper work concerning my latest build I found this,..
    good to know concerning an AWC in reference to
    8130.2F CHG 3

(2)
    In some cases, amateur-built aircraft are sold with an expired airworthiness certificate
    or foreign airworthiness certificate. In such cases, an applicant may request and receive a special
    airworthiness certificate for the purpose of operating amateur-built aircraft, only if the aircraft
    previously was certificated in this category. In this case, a new Form 8130-7 would be issued along with
    new operating limitations, but without the eligibility to obtain a repairman certificate for that aircraft.
    The new certificate should only be issued after the FAA has verified airworthiness by following the

appropriate procedures in paragraph 88 of this order.

Chase