Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with wingtips

Default Help with wingtips

I had one of my droop tips crunched recently when a tiedown gave out in high winds. The wind lifted the left wing and the right winght tip hit the ground. I didn't want to deal with fiberglass repair so I ordered a pair of new Horner tips and strobe adapters from Kitfox Aircraft. Well, you all know where this is going... The new tips don't come quite done do they.. The trailing edge isn't bonded, the adapters look like they need alot of trimming to fit, etc..

Anyone have some suggestions for a non builder? Are there any directions out there on the web? Is this easier than it looks?

Thanks,
    Luis Rodriguez
    824KF

Default Re: Help with wingtips

too bad prophead , ive got a set of droop tips that i removed from my model IV . i replaced them with the rounded tips . my origional droop tips werent removable but i made the rounded tip removable . the tips i received werent ready to install by any means , took a lot of work especially installing nutplates . i had to make the mounts for the nav/strobes and the trailings edges had to be trimmed to the correct length .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I will be at my hanger tomorrow, I will see about getting you some instructions. I used Hysol and super fill.
    Dj Series 6

Quote Originally Posted by hansedj View Post
    I will be at my hanger tomorrow, I will see about getting you some instructions. I used Hysol and super fill.
    Awesome. Thanks!

Here is the instructions, I made mine removeable. cut out, bonded with hysol,did a little fiberglass work and finished off the super fil, on the trailing edge I put a lite plywood spacer to make it the same width as the wings trailing edge.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dj Series 6

Picture of finished wing tip.
    Dj Series 6

Thanks for the pics. Couple questions.

What kind of fiberglass cloth and resin did you use?

How did you smooth the mould seam? Did you just sand it down.

Any tips on painting? Did you paint right over the plastic or something more involved?

I would suggest using a primer with flex agent in it due to the fiberglass will shrink and expand in different weather conditions,..this will avoid crazy cracks in the paint which should also have the flex agent in it as well..

Chase

Any suggestions on the type of fiberglass cloth? Can I use the stuff they sell at the local autoparts or is there some kind of 100 mile an hour, weighs less than air and is stronger than steel stuff that I need to order?

I am building my wing tips for my plane ,..I'm using the modelers fiber glass sheets ,..it's very light weight,..I'll put 3 or 4 layers which will be strong enough and still lighter then the auto parts store fiber glass sheet.
    and when I'm done I won't have to fill the fabric weave with any fillers which will also add weight.
    I plan on making 2 sets ..one with room for storage,..fish pole ..tent poles etc ..the other will not be a storage tip ,..just rounded and flat

Chase