Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 912 ULS Ignition Coil Bracket Failure

Default Rotax 912 ULS Ignition Coil Bracket Failure

I'm having a perennial failure of the the ignition coil bracket (Part 851481, #29 below) and am looking to know if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. I've reported the issue to Rotax. Is this a common problem with the part. The brackets seems to fail about every 9-12 months when I find them cracked/broken.

Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 12.02.49 PM.png
    Last edited by Rfisher30; 06-16-2024 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Graphic did not upload - Operator error.

Default Re: Rotax 912 ULS Ignition Coil Bracket Failure

That is a somewhat common occurrence. Although probably not as often as you are having the issue. Wonder if you need to do a better job of syncing the carbs. It would seem that you have a lot of vibration going on. Many have mounted their ignition modules on the firewall side of the motor mount and that takes away the engine vibrations on the modules and wires. I've done that with both of my Kitfox 4s. JImChuk

Default Re: Rotax 912 ULS Ignition Coil Bracket Failure

I did just replace that same bracket on my 912 uls. 🙁
    Carbs are balanced nicely and prop is smooth. I ordered a spare bracket just in case it happens again.
    I had 450 hours on the original bracket. Looked at relocating ignition modules to firewall side of the engine mount however it looked like I would need to extend all the spark plug wire lengths so decided to try a new bracket for now. By the way, the bracket broke just above where it bolts into the top of the engine.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear