Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flaperon Bracket Fore/Aft Placement

Default Flaperon Bracket Fore/Aft Placement

Working on rib #1's and I'm trying to figure out how far back to mount the flaperon brackets. Depending on how I interpret the manual I'm running into a contradiction. The diagram both says that the front of the brackets should be 7 1/4" from the rear of the rear spar AND it shows the rear of the bracket NOT extending under the rear rivet hole for the flaperon hangers. (Brackets in the diagram look shorter than the actual brackets.)

The 7 1/4" measurement is measured to the slanted surface with no mention of how high to take the measurement, so I'm just generally measuring in the area.

It seems like it would be good to get the rear flaperon hanger rivet to go through the flaperon bracket, which would mean I should follow the 7 1/4" measurement and try to move the bracket as far aft as possible, removing some material from the rear of the web of the bracket (shaded blue in picture below) so it can slide rearward further.

Anyone have any guidance here? I wasn't able to find any good pictures of this on the forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Todd Swanson
    Tremont, IL

S7 STi build in progress

Default Re: Flaperon Bracket Fore/Aft Placement

Hi Todd,

Might be a good idea to read ahead in the manual to include studying the trailing edge installation. There is a dimension for the trailing edge from the back of the rear spar. The flaperon brackets and reinforcing plates fit is determined after the trailiong edge is installed. The last two rivets do not go through the reinforcing bracket but go entirely through the trailing edge.

Looking at your reinforcing brackets you have, it appears that the lower edge is not parallel with the bottom capstrip. I don't think that is a concern and I don't see anything wrong with truing up the blue marked area. I estimate that there may be some manufacturing variability with the inforcing brackets. Mine were perfectly parallel on the bottom but I don't think the difference is a problem.

I think you will figure it out just fine after fitting the trailing edge which is when you would want to line up the reinforcing brackets and flaperon brackets. The forward 8 rivets go through the flaperon bracket and into the reinforcing bracket so you will figure out how that lines up when the trailing edge is complete.

Enjoy your build.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN