Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox 5 nose over damage repair cost and fuselage straightening

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Kitfox 5 nose over damage repair cost and fuselage straightening

So What do I think. Obviously I have some experience fixing damaged Kitfoxes, and particularly bent fuselages. Well. from one single picture you can't tell what is or isn't bent on yours. Certainly whatever is wrong on it can be repaired. As mentioned the wrinkle in the fabric appears to be just a bent stringer. On the Kitfox 4s this is a wood stringer but maybe metal on yours. You would have to verify that nothing else is bent, but if that is all on the fuselage then you could patch that in-place. If there are bent tubes in the fuselage you can straighten them as I detail in one of my threads here--> https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...ighlight=109jb

You mentioned that the flaperons are damaged. On one of mine I had to replace them and this was the largest cost for the repair of that one. I wound up paying about $2k for flaperons another builder had including shipping. You can check with the factory about their cost.

As for fabric needing to be removed.... not necessarily. Look at my pictures in the previous post. On both yellow airplanes I only removed as much fabric as absolutely necessary to do the repairs and then patched the small section. The red/white airplane I completely rebuilt to become the blue white airplane, but could have done a local repair on that one too.

If there are small holes, I'd just patch them as long as there is no underlying damage. Easy peasy.

The link to the repair of the blue and white airplane is above and links for the other two to give an idea.

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...fox-IV-project

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...ht-a-Kitfox-IV
    Last edited by 109JB; 05-09-2024 at 07:34 AM.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (rebuilt and now flying)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Default Re: Kitfox 5 nose over damage repair cost and fuselage straightening

Thanks for replies all. Not sure what Im going to do yet, the insurance auction ends june 15th so we?ll see what the high bid ends up at. Still need to talk to John McB about what the parts just to fix the tail will run.
    Ryan