Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pioneer Control Grips

Default Re: Pioneer Control Grips

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    If it's to high, can't you just cut a little off the stick?
    Totally, but if you trim the stick as much as you can, and it's still too tall with the grip, then that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Does anyone know the diameter of the control sticks offhand; 3/4",7/8",1"?

I'm going to order my grips and this is the parameter they need

Mine (a Series 5) are 7/8".
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Mine (a Series 5) are 7/8".
    Awesome, thanks for this Eric! I can't imagine this spec has changed in the Series 7

Be aware that if you want to control trim with buttons on the grip you may need to
    change the wiring a bit since those buttons typically can't handle the current needed
    to drive the trim servo motor. Also note that the trim motor direction is determined
    by the input voltage polarity so operation with 2 switches requires some additional
    circuitry. It's also more difficult to have both the Kitfox-supplied switch and grip buttons
    at the same time.

If you need more details on how to wire it up just let me know here and I'll post
    the info on my setup which uses the Ray-Allen grips, Garmin autopilot servos and the
    TCW Safety Trim Booster.

Victor
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x

Quote Originally Posted by VictorV View Post
    Be aware that if you want to control trim with buttons on the grip you may need to
    change the wiring a bit since those buttons typically can't handle the current needed
    to drive the trim servo motor. Also note that the trim motor direction is determined
    by the input voltage polarity so operation with 2 switches requires some additional
    circuitry. It's also more difficult to have both the Kitfox-supplied switch and grip buttons
    at the same time.

If you need more details on how to wire it up just let me know here and I'll post
    the info on my setup which uses the Ray-Allen grips, Garmin autopilot servos and the
    TCW Safety Trim Booster.

Victor
    Hey Victor,

If you could post that here that would be awesome! I do plan to use the TCW Safety Trim Booster for the very reason you mentioned.

I'll also be running a Vertical Power VPX; as I understand things so far, the VPX is able to accept trim inputs from both pilot/copilot without the need for an external relay, but it makes no distinction between the two. Alternatively, I can also add the Garmin GAD-27 (in addition to VPX) which also accepts two trim inputs, but has separate inputs for pilot/copilot, which allows pilot controls to override the copilot....neat feature, but there's so much overlapping functionality between GAD/VPX, that I'm not sure it's worth the added expense. Anyhow, back to your point, I would love any help you're willing to give!