Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Leaking Tanks when wings folded

Default Leaking Tanks when wings folded

This may have been answered elsewhere, but could not find a definitive answer.

My Kitfox is a taildragger and when I fold the wings, most of the fuel is on the floor of the hanger the next morning.

Somehow it flows down the inside of the wing. I did not build my Kitfox - I was fortunate enough to purchase it.
    I am not totally familiar with the internal workings of the tank.

Can someone please tell me if there is a way to stop this problem?

I had to build a special lift that holds the tailwheel and lifts it up into the air to make the whole plane level if I leave any fuel in the tank.

Thanks
    Rodney Wren

Default Re: Leaking Tanks when wings folded

You might consider providing a bit more information considering that each model may have a different answer. Coatings inside etc etc.
    I have heard of the fuel spilling out of the fill neck if you fold the wings with fuel in them, ill advised as I understand it. I have myself experienced fuel flowing directly out of the vent tube on the cap when I deflated my 22" tire on one side and the fuel transfered over from the high wing right out onto the hangar floor. It flows really well I assure you. I dont fold my wings. Your question might be concern over integrity? If you have the Kitfox manual you should easily find the suggested methods for verifying that the tank is sound. Pressure test essentially. $.02
    Good luck.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Not sure where your leak might be coming from. Could it be seeping from the cap seal and getting inside the wing from there?

I have never folded the wings with more than a few gallons per side. Too much weight on the tail and fuel will drain out of the vented caps even if close to being full.
    Some have made a tailwheel jack that levels the plane and still allows it to be moved around while fueled.

Hope you find it! Here's some links to help.

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...lding-question

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...-Folding-Wings

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...l-in-the-tanks
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Its a model 7 SS

I'll check the fuel caps. Not coming from the overflow vents - checked those.

I did build a tail lift but sure would like to not have to use it. I have to fold the wings to get it in the hanger with
    my Bonanza ----- soon to be a Cherokee. I'm too old, so the insurance wouldn't write me anymore.

Any other thoughts??

Rodney

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...ght=tail+dolly

I had the same issue. I had to fold the wings to store it in a hangar with another plane.

The moving dolly rolls easily and I made a ramp to get over the hangar door tracks.

Also I noticed that with the wings back, the tail wheel spring takes alot weight and really flattens out. Didn't look like that was good for it's longevity.