Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gross Weight VS Max Takeoff Weight

84KF

Where is it showing such a number? Could you post the link or tell me your N# so I could search and see for myself.

Here is mine (N number search) viewed through Landings.Com

http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi?p...l&nnumber=84kf
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-number : N84KF
    Aircraft Serial Number : S9412-0084
    Aircraft Manufacturer : MUDGE RAY
    Model : KIT FOX 5

Engine Manufacturer : BOMBARDIER
    Model : ROTAX (ALL)
    Aircraft Year : 1998
    Owner Name : BENESH STEPHEN F
    Owner Address : 595 SHAW CT
    MILFORD, MI, 48380-3465
    Type of Owner : Individual
    Registration Date : 25-Oct-2006
    Airworthiness Certificate Type : Experimental
    Approved Operations : Amateur Built

And the same through the FAA website....

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...&cmndfind.y=13

It's just not there on mine.
    .................................................. .

5 minutes later.....Update!!!!
    Is this what you saw? when you click on the "model" hot link????

http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi?p...l&nnumber=84kf

Manufacturer : MUDGE RAY
    Model Name : KIT FOX 5
    Aircraft Type : Fixed Wing Single Engine
    Engine Type : Reciprocating
    Aircraft Category : Amphibian
    Number of Engines : 1
    Number of Seats : 2
    Max. Gross Weight : Less than 12,500 lbs
    Amateur Certification : Yes
    Aircraft Code : 05604P8

Notice it says "LESS THAN 12,500 lbs"....(NOT 1250 lbs) which is the cut-off for "small aircraft"
    ...And just for the record, my "Aircraft Category" is not, and never has been Amphibian. It's never even seen rain, much less a body of water. Don't know where that came from.

The fact still remains that the term "Gross Weight" is not a relevant term in regards to LSA\Sport Pilot discussion, and, (I say again...) is not used in the FAA Final Rule to determine legal qualifying weight. (Think... and use Maximum Take Off Weight as defined in the Final Rule.
    Last edited by 84KF; 07-11-2008 at 05:48 PM.

84KF

Do a N number search

Then click on the hot link for Model Series 5 to see:

Aircraft Database Search Result
    Last Database Update: Mon Jul 7 16:10:21 2008
    Manufacturer : BAILEY M A
    Model Name : SERIES 5
    Aircraft Type : Fixed Wing Single Engine
    Engine Type : Reciprocating
    Aircraft Category : Land
    Number of Engines : 1
    Number of Seats : 2
    Max. Gross Weight : Less than 12,500 lbs
    Amateur Certification : Yes
    Aircraft Code : 05606E6

Default Re: Gross Weight VS Max Takeoff Weight

I know this is an older post ..but on my model 5 registration it says MTOW 1320 LSA it doesn't mention gross weight anywhere

sorry not the registration ..in the aircraft log the sticker the DAR gives you with AWC states 1320 ..not the registration
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 01-30-2014 at 08:21 PM.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Good Morning,

Great discussion; and, one which serves to help keep us out trouble where it is important to know the difference between the "correct" term and the "Common" term.(like when we submit it on a piece of official paper)

....I had to change the data plate on my plane because I had my first name first on the data plate while the registration had my last name first.....what was I thinking!

A majority of the career I retired from involved the regulations of a different gov't agency.....FDA, I want to make sure everyone understands NOT THE FAA.......But, the discussions in that venue over what are the correct words to use in a fairly complicated discipline becomes identical.....There is the defined language and there is the unofficial language which people hear repeated so much they come to believe it is "official".

I can also verify that the officers of an institution (FDA in this case), can become so acculturated that they begin to use the non-official term in their communication so don't be surprized if an FAA person, on occasion, does not use the "official term". Regulated industry will frequently use unofficial terms and pass them along in common communication.....The frequency with which we are exposed to the unofficial term can be such that we come to think of them as correct. In unofficial communication, of course, use of of an unofficial term is non-objectionable (no law against that!).....the conflicts come up if it spills over to official communication.

Here is another way of looking at the issue.........think about how many terms are used to apply to a human's private parts.......then think about how many of them are "official"..........which term do you want to use if you take an issue to the doctor involving said parts?

This thread is useful to remind us all that when we deal with official matters driven by regulation, probably best to figure out what the "right" word is. Also a reminder that good discussions and good diplomacy go together.

When I retired, I jokingly commented I would write a book titled "How Things Got This Way"......One of my co-workers immediately presented me with a ream of paper and demanded the first copy....I am sure that things involving the FAA could warrant the same sort of book.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

Your right Dave, i have heard officials use the " hangar terms" i call them, and then re group and use the correct term which to me sometimes leaves more room for interpretation due to the use of certain words/ phrases
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL