Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox vs highlander stol performance

Default Kitfox vs highlander stol performance

So, Im still shopping for a kit to buy. I have been on the kitfox bandwagon for sometime now and have just been trying to find a used project fox at the right price. I know the kitfox supersport has a 1500lb gross weight which definately appeals to me. The highlander on the other hand only has a 1300lb gross, but the STOL performance is out of this world. I plan to fly my plane to my parents hometown and the landing strip there is a 700ft grass strip for rc planes(abt 40ft wide). From videos I have seen the highlander can land and takeoff from that with room to spare. How would the supersport fare on a strip like that? While I like the highlander for STOL performance I like the kitfox for its sleek looks and high gross. Although the fact that the kitfox kit is roughly 10k cheaper is also a big factor.Either airframe I go with will be powered by a corvair with 120-130HP available for takeoff. A model 4 is also in running in spite of the low gross weight, having seen kits going in the 8k range on barnstormers its very tempting

I apologize if bringing the highlander up on the kitfox site is sacrelige lol

Default Re: Kitfox vs highlander stol performance

Roman,

I have a friend that had a 1000 ft. strip at his place until he measured it. It was 700 ft. He was in and out often, mostly daily, in his 604 lb. Model IV with 80 hp. He had the same wing the 7 has. Taking off I doubt would be the problem. HP won't help land short, unless you are comfortble flying final behind the power curve. Heavier usually means faster on final. Also consider the elevation. My friend's place was at about 130 ft.

The 7 is a great airplane and has some features I will be without in my present project, but considering the mission, as you are doing, is very prudent. Have you considered the IV? That's what's working for me.

Lowell

I am actually considering the IV as well. The price I see unfinished kits going for seems almost too good to be true. Im also considering scratch building my own aircraft. If I was gonna buy a kit right now I would most likely go for the SS/7. The 1200lb gross weight on the IV is the one major thing holding me back on it. I plan to use a corvair powerplant and the added gross weight of the SS sure would be nice.

Im comparing 3 planes and I dont see how it is apples to oranges. All three planes are kit-builts of the same construction, use the same powerplants, and are spec'd at nearly identical empty weights. This is CLEARLY and apples to apples comparison.

No, you are not comparing apples to apples.

The STOL performance of the Highlander with the same engine will be far superior to the Kitfox due to the wing design. The Highlander uses Dean Wilson's Avid (and I-III Kitfox) undercambered airfoil. It has much higher lift profile at low speed, compared to the Model IV and later Kitfox wing.

Not only is weight important, but wing design is, too.

One of these 900# fat Supersports is not going to come anywhere near as good as a 550# Model IV, or better yet a Highlander, in STOL performance.

At speed, the Kitfox (even a heavy one) will kick butt, though. The Kitfox is a good plane for STOL performance, but the Avids and Highlanders are better, due to their wing design. Sorry.
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 03-07-2010 at 08:16 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

C5engineer that was great, thanks for posting.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

C5 i apologise if i came off as over aggrssive.

Thank you av8r i was unaware of the difference in airfoils.

Could a model iv be made to perform similarly or would it be better to just go with the highlander?
    Last edited by Dead Roman; 03-07-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Relevant subject matter was deleted.

The only chance to make a model IV STOL with a Highlander or Avid is to make it SUPER-SUPER light. That means a light weight engine like a Rotax 582 is mandatory.

My IV is 630# empty. It falls short (by a lot) to the STOL performance of a Highlander.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

My take on this is to go with the SS if the Corvair engine is etched in stone. Comparing a 600 lb. Model IV or Highlander with a ULS to a 750 lb. or more IV or Highlander is definitely apples and oranges. There is just too much experience out there to suggest that keeping any auto conversion close to the low 600 lb empty weights is simply not possible. I know this last statement is not popular position with a lot of folks, but all the argument so far that it can be done comes from hopefulls with calculators. As far as landing at your parent's place, that would depend on your piloting skills. I'd just go with the plan and have your folks pick you up at the local airport. Then again if lots of off airport work is in your plans, I would seriously reconsider the Corvair - Sorry.

My dad used to fly our Model IV Speedster with a 912UL out of our 600ft strip with a house and trees at one end and a fence and hill at the other. It did fine, probably could have even done it with two people. This was in the summer and at 2,400 ft. Just build the plane as light as possible and it should be a performer, that Speedster only weighed 604lbs. You can make a Model IV come close to a Highlander, but it probably won't do quite as well, but in cruise a Kitfox will beat a Highlander. Just what I have noticed over the years.