Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912iS high Manifold Temperatures (what can i do?)

Default 912iS high Manifold Temperatures (what can i do?)

So unlike the winter when it's hard to keep it warm enough, as the days are getting hot around here I'm struggling with manifold temperature. This evening as I climbed out the manifold temps got to 55C and there was a significant decrease in power - enough that I couldn't climb more than a few hundred ft/min. It came back down to about 51C then hovered at 50C. I kept my eye on it for a few min as I though perhaps once in some cooler air it would come down some more. It didn't. Oil temp also then climbed into the yellow. I landed.

I'm looking for ideas. I've just got the standard intake setup with the scoop directing to the oil cooler/heater core combo (really only about 1/2 direct). I feel like I should just cut back the scoop to allow more air to enter. Should I also consider some naca outlets at the top?
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Default Re: 912iS high Manifold Temperatures (what can i do?)

I would put a cold air intake on. Kitfox sells one. I think Gary installed one on his build under build log GEEK
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

One thing that helped me get my IAT’s down was louvers on the cowling near the intakes themselves. My thought being any air stagnation in that region due to the firewall would sure be creating some cooling issues. Few hours in fiberglass work and some sheet metal seemed to bring the temps down to manageable. I haven’t flown this thing in 9ish months at this point so I cannot recall actual temps. Sorry. 8AD565C0-F415-4867-B191-6135B5B2D57F.jpg
    Nicholas Cardoza
    N6735E / N27RF

Most of us running the 912is have experienced oil temps in the yellow when summer comes along. I also think most of us have cut the scoop back about an inch further and had that take care of the oil temperatures.

As far as air intake temperatures are concerned, I did a post a while back showing my install of a cold air intake and some numbers that I gathered. I think Kitfox may offer something cleaner than this now, but you'll have to check with them.

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...old+air+intake
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

Thanks all. I think I'm going to do both - cut back the scoop and add a custom air intake box similar to your pic. Although maybe I'll give a call to see what cost/availability might be. It looks pretty simple to make.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO