Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Straighten Warped / Buckled Ribs

Default Straighten Warped / Buckled Ribs

I recently purchased an STi project and trucked it from North Dakota to Texas. Several ribs that were installed in the rudder and vertical stabilizer have warped or buckled due, I think, to the increased temperature and humidity here in Texas.

Any suggestions on how to straighten in place? I was thinking of cross-cutting, straightening, adding a stiffener, and then using Hysol to bond the stiffener and splice the cut.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kliff Black
    STi project purchased April 2023
    RV-7 completed 2016

Default Re: Straighten Warped / Buckled Ribs

I'd heat and remove the Hysol on the small end and see if you can move it just far enough away from the framework to Dremel it out. Had to do the same thing on the secondhand kit we purchased.
    Jason B.
    Phase 1 - S7 STi
    Dynon | 915is

Maybe a series of pieces laid flat in the center of each rib, and glued from one rib to the next to hold them all rigid side to side. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    I'd heat and remove the Hysol on the small end and see if you can move it just far enough away from the framework to Dremel it out. Had to do the same thing on the secondhand kit we purchased.
    Sounds like a good plan. I'll give it a try. Thanks!!
    Kliff Black
    STi project purchased April 2023
    RV-7 completed 2016