Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Loose flaperon horn attach rivets

Default Loose flaperon horn attach rivets

I know I've seen a discussion on this in the past, but can't find it. I have a Model Classic IV and the rivets that attach the flaperon horn to the flaperon spar have worked loose. Don't know if the holes have been egged out or it's simply the rivets are worn, but wondering what others have done to correct this issue. I'm planning to drill out the bad rivets and pull the flaperon horn off to inspect. Then replace parts as needed and re-attach. If the holes are egged out, is it acceptable to drill out slightly oversized and use oversized rivets? Thanks!

Default Re: Loose flaperon horn attach rivets

I'm not sure on the Classic IV, but on my Model III, the horns were glued with structural adhesive and riveted. Maybe you can check the original build manual for guidance before you take action.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Default Re: Loose flaperon horn attach rivets

Thanks. I looked through the build manual for the Classic IV and it doesn't call for any adhesive, just the 7 stainless rivets.
    I pulled the horn off this evening and everything looks fine except for worn rivets, so will re-rivet and see if that solves the issue