Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dave's SS7

Default Dave's SS7

So this is probably a bit overdue - but I thought I should start a build thread. I wish I had a cool Fox name for my build like some of you do, but I can't seem to come up with anything...

Anyway, in March I picked up my kit - an SS7. In my case I had it shipped to Syracuse NY, and I rented a truck and drove down from Canada to get it. It all went very very smoothly. I was pretty excited so I didn't take many photos, but that's my rented Penske truck looking pretty small at the freight terminal. Crossing the border and dealing with customs was simple. I did get a few sideways looks from various officials when I told them it was a "kit plane" -- "you know a plane you build your self and go flying in..." But once they realized I was probably crazy - but a law abiding citizen - and was there to pay the tax on the kit, it was business as usual.
    IMG_2761.jpg

Once I got back to my hangar a friend on the field helped me unload with his skidsteer with forks. That also went super easy and the skidsteer had zero trouble lifting the crate. To be honest I had stressed about this part -- partially because Kitfox factory had told me the crate would weight 3500lbs. I can attest that the crate is very well build and everything is super secure inside. I'm not sure of the exact weight but between the lift gate and the bobcat, we had it in the hangar in no time.
    IMG_0004.jpeg

The next couple weeks (-amid other projects) I worked on the inventory and built some wing rotisseries/shelves and other storage/organization/workspace stuff.
    IMG_0002.jpeg

As of this weekend I have completed the inventory and completely disassembled the crate (that actually took a while.) I've organized everything and begun to really read the manual as well.

I probably won't be the fastest builder (I have many projects on the go...) or the most prolific poster on this site -- but I'm very excited to have "started" even if that is just unpacking.
    IMG_0001.jpeg

Sorry about he upside down/turned photos -- maybe some one else can right them -- I can't figure out how to do that.

Dave.

Default Re: Dave's SS7

Off to a great start Dave, and you got it home without injury to you or the kit!

Exiting to get to it after all the talk and planning. No worries on fancy names or pic's that are wonky.

Glad you are on your way! Enjoy and Congratz!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Dave, always glad to see another kitfox build starting. Exciting times ahead! It's been a long wait for you I'm sure. Harlan
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Congrats Dave. As you have probably seen already this is a great place for ideas, solutions, and lots of money spending ideas.

Woohoo! I'm excited to follow along. Congrats man!

After several months of finishing up some other projects - I finally started to actually work on my kit. Some teasing about how the plane won't build itself has been warranted... but now I'm under way.
    Nothing crazy exciting here though -- just work on the horizontal and elevator bushings and mounting the trim actuator.

Welding Reamer.jpg

Welding up a long reamer -- I'm not much of a welder and this did take a couple tries to get a workable system. The bigger one was much easier.

Reamer.jpg

Worked like a charm...

Bushing Work.jpg

Bushing/Bearing work -- thought this was going to be much worse than it was. 10mins per and I had each hinge point complete.

Bushing Press.jpg

Same homemade mandrel used as a press for the first part, finished off with the Knipex -- love that tool.

Cat Help.jpg

Some research help from the new family pet -- her name is Karma, if you have some "Swifties" at home you'll know where that came from.

Slide Block Sizing.jpg

Sizing the slider blocks.

Horizontal.jpg

Mounting and lining up the horizontal and tail.

Scissor Link.jpg

Working out how to line up some of the crazy washer stacks.

I've done a bit more with mounting the elevator and getting the trim actuator powered up and working up and down. Gotta say -- that was pretty satisfying. I don't have many photos of that though -- just a video and need to learn how to post that.

All in all -- having a great time building at this very very early stage.

I continue to (slowly) work along at my build.

I have gotten the ribs installed on the horizontal and elevator. And I was able to get them varnished.

I’m now working on the same process in the tail and rudder.

I had been clamping the ribs to a flat surface every night when I wasn’t working on them… stupidly I must have forgotten one time.

I now have several ribs (mostly rudder) that even with stiffeners applied have some twist in them.

I tried several of the methods described in the factory video to straighten them - but so far no luck.

Anyone else had this issue and any recommendations?

Dave.

I’m still working on the tail of my plane. Some photos of my progress…

Gluing on the fibreglass fairing on the rudder.

Rudder ready for balsa cap.

Using just about every clamp I own to glue on the tail fibreglass.

Beginning to fit balsa on the horizontal and elevator ends.

Rough shaping…

More rough shaping…

General shape complete, ready for bonding.

I wish I was faster… but I’m pleased with the progress — it’s been a lot of fun and lots of learning.

Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good Dave. One step at a time is all it takes to finish one day.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Thanks for the encouragement Harlan.

I try not to focus on how much there is to go…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk