Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dave's SS7

Default Re: Dave's SS7

Hi Eddie… do you have a link or photos of how to do this with metal shims — and how to make them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One option that has been used to correct minor alignment of the rudder pedal torque tubes is to make the end bearings slightly barrel shaped with the major dimension very close to the ID of the torque tube and a slight rounded taper to both sides. The material removed does not reduce the strength of the end bearing and it does not create any slop.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I continue to work on the rudder pedals --

Does anyone know what the exact material is for the pulley retention straps that are builder fabricated and install on the torque tube pulleys?

I don't like to admit it, but I have one that needs to be redone.

Dave.

Dave,

According to my inventory listing. The straps are stainless steel - the supplied stock is pieces 0.5" X 10" by 0.025" thick.

Having said that, there are numerous formulations/alloys of stainless steel; buy I doubt that it would make any difference in this application.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Dave,

According to my inventory listing. The straps are stainless steel - the supplied stock is pieces 0.5" X 10" by 0.025" thick.

Having said that, there are numerous formulations/alloys of stainless steel; buy I doubt that it would make any difference in this application.
    What Dave said. But hey - welcome to the "My Straps Look Like Hell" club!!! I too am a member. I had to build a jig where I cut slots in plywood and then glued them together so that the distance between the slots was the right width to clear the roller. Allowed me to bend and drill mine while they were clamped into the jig. Bent them, drilled them and then cut the ends off to make them the right length. But trust me I had four REALLY ugly straps before I did this.

Bracket 1.jpgBracket2.jpgRoller.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Hey Gary - I had seen your jig for drilling prior and I had copied it mostly... however, my dado/slot for the SS strap was just a tiny bit too wide and the hole ended up off of center on the strap. I re-adjusted the jig and it's better now, but I have one ugly ducking strap. I'm a decent woodworker, but I'm still getting used to the tolerances required for metalwork.

I'll see if I can source some SS material, I just wasn't sure if a specific type was nesc for this application.

Thanks for your help.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Dave,

Thanks Dave -- appreciate the specs. I'll see what I can source around here.

Dave.