Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox bush traiing

Default Kitfox bush traiing

After 20 years of building my Series 6, my first flight was in 2019 and since then I have flown 500 hours. A Kitfox is a brilliantly designed machine and flies like a dream. Anyone who has hours in a plane with similar landing gear configuration will do fine with a few days of transition training.

After about 200hrs in my Kitfox I did backcountry training thru Stick & Rudder in Idaho and found that I was driving my motorcycle like a bus. Nothing wrong with that really but I found I was missing out on a lot of fun. Immediately after taking that training, I shed my factory tires for 22" smooth tires and started having a blast. It was like a whole new world opened up for me being able to land almost anywhere. It's not just fun, I also found that the skills I learned in the backcountry helped me a lot better and safer pilot at paved airports.

After 500hrs in my Kitfox, I just took another two days backcountry training this week with Stick & Rudder in their 140hp Kitfox STI and it was crazy-fun. Landing at one-way strips. Landing where the approach in follows a river and you dont see the strip until the turn to final at 200' AGL. The biggest thing it did for me was give me confidence that I now know how to shop a field and decide if I can safely land, which direction is safest to land, and how to choose the all important abort point.

There are a number of great bush training programs but as far as I know, Stick & Rudder is the only one that uses the Kitfox. Regardless of who you do your bush training thru, I would highly recommend it to be able to get the maximum enjoyment out of your Kitfox.

Happy backcountry flying!

PS: I have no affiliation at all with Stick & Rudder other than being a happy repeat customer.

Photo of me on day 1 getting used to the STI before heading to the backcountry
    sawtooth-backcountry.jpg
    Last edited by 3kdscf; 05-03-2023 at 08:27 PM.

Default Re: Kitfox bush traiing

I agree that Paul and his team are amazing. Loved my time with them and learned a ton.

also great pic.

Happy Flying, SwoffDaddy

I had a great time there. I flew with Leon and got to spend some time talking with Paul, who arranged for me to get a factory tour (in 2020!).

I flew the 7SS because it was closest to what I'm building. I had a blast.

Great experience, highly recommended.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    I had a great time there. I flew with Leon and got to spend some time talking with Paul, who arranged for me to get a factory tour (in 2020!).

I flew the 7SS because it was closest to what I'm building. I had a blast.

Great experience, highly recommended.
    This was my third time flying with Leon, he is a great instructor and he actually worked at the Kitfox factory for a number of years so he knows the plane inside and out.

As an aside, I wanted to fly Stick & Rudders STI to get a feel of the 915 engine as I am contemplating putting that in my Series 6 when I get to 1500 hours. I have to say, the first day in the STI was rough and I didnt think I was ever going to get the hang of it but the second day, I absolutely loved it.

I love the flexibility of the engine. 140hp for crazy takeoffs then throttle back to 5gph for a 100mph cruise.

Man, the 915 is thirsty!
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Man, the 915 is thirsty!
    You gotta pay to play man!!!! But I'm with you - 912is. If I can't get out of where I'm going with that - I shouldn't have been there.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Excellent post!

I have flown on three separate summers with Fred Williams of Adventure Flying.

He instructs in a Model 7 with a turbo Rotax out of Cascade Idaho in the summer and in Reno, Nevada during the winter months.

I highly recommend him. He is the best I have experienced, and that includes my military training.

Here is a link to his website.:
    https://advflying.com/
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Quote Originally Posted by GWright6970 View Post
    Excellent post!

I have flown on three separate summers with Fred Williams of Adventure Flying.

He instructs in a Model 7 with a turbo Rotax out of Cascade Idaho in the summer and in Reno, Nevada during the winter months.

I highly recommend him. He is the best I have experienced, and that includes my military training.

Here is a link to his website.:
    https://advflying.com/
    Cool!!! I did not know there was anyone else giving backcountry training in the Kitfox!

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Man, the 915 is thirsty!
    LOL! Kinda true. Dont think the 915 could stay aloft at 2gph like my 912ULS but then my 912ULS cannot do vertical takeoffs