Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This looks good!

Default This looks good!

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Default Re: This looks good!

Slick tool. Unfortunately, the $650 cost is a bit steep for me. Of course I'm saying that as I look at 2 cuts on my hand from zip ties.

Rick
    Last edited by bumsteer; 05-01-2023 at 03:25 PM.

I really like tools -- so that's pretty cool.

I'm curious though, and forgive my ignorance (I still have a ton to learn - especially about electronics) but what is wrong with zip ties?

I learned how to tie loom lacing when I bought my first Kitfox 4-1050. It may have had three temporary zip ties in it. So I needed to learn how in order to maintain the wiring.

I tied the entire harness when I built the Mangy as well. I hate cutting my fingers and hands on clipped zip tie ends.

(My old 'Fox)
    1464.jpg
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Looks good! I bought a roll of lacing string and still have 80percent of it left after doing 2 aircraft. Pushboy you don't want to use zip ties for wiring. You are building this plane to last 30 years and zipties will just deteriorate and break off. They also chaff the wire. They become hard and brittle. Not to mention you cut your fingers on them. You want to lace all your wires so they will last and hold up.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Way to be optimistic Dustin. I hope nothing electrical behind my seat causes problems in thirty years time. As soon as I need to replace a wire or something, I will be cutting every wire tie off just to retrieve a bad wire. I will be buying your left over stuff then because I thought I had cut my wire ties off flush but low and behold, BLOOD. And, skin gets thinner and thinner with age.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie - Tip for tying harness laces, go to your local sewing supply store and buy the best small scissors they have. Spend $50 if you have to. It will be well worth it.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Looks good! I bought a roll of lacing string and still have 80percent of it left after doing 2 aircraft. Pushboy you don't want to use zip ties for wiring. You are building this plane to last 30 years and zipties will just deteriorate and break off. They also chaff the wire. They become hard and brittle. Not to mention you cut your fingers on them. You want to lace all your wires so they will last and hold up.

Ah -- that makes sense. I guess I'll add lacing to another skill I need to acquire in the build process. Thanks for the info.

On the topic of lacing, I need to order some. Now I'm faced with too many choices (!).

I think tying the laces will be easier than choosing which type. So...
    1) Nylon
    2) Polyester
    3) Waxed
    4) Not waxed
    5) Continuous
    6) Individual
    5) Something I'm missing?
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Just a couple of thoughts to add to the wire tie conversation… I think lacing is fine, but wire ties are too, and they’re MUCH quicker & easier - to install & to remove. The fact is that many aircraft manufacturers do use wire ties. Pilatus uses them on their new aircraft, as I’ve seen at their finishing facility here in Denver. Those are some very sophisticated, expensive aircraft. Rotax uses wire ties all over their new engines. Their are some cheap ties that may get old & brittle, but I’ve used the T&B (Thomas & Betts) brand, for example, almost exclusively on both of my homebuilts and never had a single one break or come loose - not one - or had any other problems with them in over 28 years on my T-18. A tiny bit of care to cut the tails with a small wire cutter results in an absolutely smooth, scratch-free assembly. The surface contact area is greater with a tie vs lacing string. When tightened properly, there is no movement to cause abrasion nor excessive tightness digging into insulation. The only negative for me is that they are more expensive… a very minor, non-issue in the grand scheme of building an airplane.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime