Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Question about 8.5 tundra tires

Default Question about 8.5 tundra tires

I'm building a custom set of landing gear for my kitfox and I plan on using 8.5 desser tundra tires with beringer wheels. The Beringer part is significant because they can let you run tubeless and therefore at low pressure without risk of shearing the valve stem off a tube. I want to make sure I've got enough ground clearance for the prop if I'm running at low pressure. So the question is this: if you've got the pressure low on 8.5's about how much room between the ground and the rim of the wheel? I am accounting for at least 9" of prop clearance when statically loaded in the level attitude (it is a tail dragger) and it will have clearance if one tire goes flat the shock on the same side fails. I'm trying to figure clearance on a hard landing where both shocks bottom out and the tires compress quite a bit as well.

Default Re: Question about 8.5 tundra tires

I am doing backcountry training now but will check when I get home. I have a Series 6 taildragger with grove gear and the Aero Classic 22 x 8.50-6 smooth tundra tires and a whirlwind three blade prop. I have so much prop clearance that I am thinking of putting on a long two blade prop for better efficiency