Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions and feedback requested on Panel Switch layout and Wig Wag function

Question Questions and feedback requested on Panel Switch layout and Wig Wag function

Hi,
    I apologize. I originally posted yesterday my questions re: my panel design on Drew's thread. Starting my own thread here.

I'm in the final stages of designing my panel before purchasing avionics and getting my panel cut. I've gone back and forth for months and would love a second set of eyes re: the switch layout and if I'm missing anything.

I do plan to stick w Dynon and use the Fastrak Trays on back of my panel to house most modules which can't be remotely located to keep wiring challenges to a minimum. My layout is designed the way it is to allow for future space to add a G5 and GPS175 (IFR) if I ever wanted it (but unlikely). I chose 2 screens, so I can fly from either seat. A little concerned about weight compared w a 10" screen and G5 backup only but I do like the symmetrical look.
    I am running a ground adjustable DUC Prop.

Here are my questions I'm hoping to get clarification on.

1. Any recommendation on the round black switch order for my lights and Cabin Heat? I imagine always turning on my Nav lights, so am changing the order (from left to right): to:Nav”-“Strobe”-"Cabin Heat”-”Landing (and/ or)WigWag”-“Taxi". On the ground with a hand on the control stick, I imagine turning on/off Landing and taxi lights, so am placing on right.

2.. Is WigWag function usually a dedicated switch? I just emailed Kit Fox but haven't heard back yet due to the weekend. I am unclear if the Wig Wag function is used with the Aero LED Pulsar or Sunbeam light, and if the Wig Wag function needs a separate switch or if it's wired with the Landing light or another? In addition to the lighting package purchased from Kit Fox, I installed two KC Off-Road Lights for Taxi lights.

3. I am changing my push start button as well, and may modify the Kit Fox Logo but haven't decided yet.

Lastly, I did purchase a Cowl Flap control knob which I am locating to right of Throttle. No room for labeling but if I can, I will have it laser etched on end of knob.

Anything I missed?
    Any constructive criticism or recommendations would be great!

Thanks,

Kevin Olson
    Building KitFox S7 STi (Rotax 915)

Default Re: Questions and feedback requested on Panel Switch layout and Wig Wag function

Hi Kevin,
    One thing to consider is that once sitting in the seats, the lip on the Dynon HDX obscures labels that are above any black rocker switches located underneath it. I found this out the hard way.

Your mock-up looks great.
    Jason B.
    Phase 1 - S7 STi
    Dynon | 915is

Default Re: Questions and feedback requested on Panel Switch layout and Wig Wag function

How are you planning on controlling wigwag? I see no breakers so I assume the VPX? If so you can wigwag any two circuits. So, there is no wigwag switch. You can have a time delay also. I have mine set for 30 seconds delay. That way if its night, and when I am on short final, I turn the lights off then back on and the lights will stay steady for 30 seconds. Or, I can go into the G3x and selected menu under VPX and have the option to turn wigwag steady indefinitely if your doing night flying T&GS. I have my Landing lights to taxi lights wigwag. More than 30 seconds and over 40mph and they will wigwag. So I just turn on the lights and the VPX takes care of the wigwag. Hope this helps.

Nevermind....I forgot AFS has there own electronic breakers so I think you need a wigwag switch?
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 04-24-2023 at 08:39 AM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

No legend for the switch (Start Power/Battery Backup?) just below the fuel pump switches.

Avionics Master switch unnecessary.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Seems like very few folks install a whiskey compass (vertical type) anymore for backup. They are totally non-electrical and work in case of a complete electrical failure (highly unlikely I know). I put one in mine, even though I have no other backup instruments for my single panel Skyview.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks. Yeah, until I get the HDX screens, it's difficult to know exactly how much the label will be obscured. My original solution was to use lighted round switches with a dimmer but don't want to over complicate things either.
    I'll mock up the switches with lettering below to see what it looks like.
    Thanks Redline.

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    Hi Kevin,
    One thing to consider is that once sitting in the seats, the lip on the Dynon HDX obscures labels that are above any black rocker switches located underneath it. I found this out the hard way.

Your mock-up looks great.

Hey Jim,
    I love traditional gauges and was tempted to put a real bank indicator ball below the screen as well but in the end, decided to go with the dual screens and essentials to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Seems like very few folks install a whiskey compass (vertical type) anymore for backup. They are totally non-electrical and work in case of a complete electrical failure (highly unlikely I know). I put one in mine, even though I have no other backup instruments for my single panel Skyview.

Eric,
    I copied the location of the Avionics/Master switches, and the momentary starter switch from Kit Fox's panel but didn't know what to call it. I have room to label it, as I already moved the Fuel PumpA/B switches up slightly to align with the top of the Baro Module. I didn't realize no master switch is necessary. Thanks! I'll look into this more. Great feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    No legend for the switch (Start Power/Battery Backup?) just below the fuel pump switches.

Avionics Master switch unnecessary.

Dustin,
    Great feedback! Thanks. I still haven't decided whether to go w a VPX or AFS' version. I spoke w an installer who recommended the VPX over the AFS due to it's simplicity but that was just their opinion and they said they work with both well. I'll reach out to Dynon this week, to see if I can get some clarification on the benefits based on my panel specs.
    Brandon w Kit Fox emailed me today and clarified their factory aircraft have dedicated wig wag switches but I love the way you manage yours just by switching the lights on and off to reset the timer.
    Thanks again for the reply!
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    How are you planning on controlling wigwag? I see no breakers so I assume the VPX? If so you can wigwag any two circuits. So, there is no wigwag switch. You can have a time delay also. I have mine set for 30 seconds delay. That way if its night, and when I am on short final, I turn the lights off then back on and the lights will stay steady for 30 seconds. Or, I can go into the G3x and selected menu under VPX and have the option to turn wigwag steady indefinitely if your doing night flying T&GS. I have my Landing lights to taxi lights wigwag. More than 30 seconds and over 40mph and they will wigwag. So I just turn on the lights and the VPX takes care of the wigwag. Hope this helps.

Nevermind....I forgot AFS has there own electronic breakers so I think you need a wigwag switch?

Quote Originally Posted by olsonCCR View Post
    I didn't realize no master switch is necessary.
    Sorry, it sounds like I may have confused things by using the word "Master." Just to clarify, it's the Avionics switch that's unnecessary. Avionics switches are a carryover from an earlier time when electronics weren't very robust and needed protection from voltage sag during engine start and "spikes" at starter cutout. Modern avionics are designed to shrug off those things and we now know to put a flyback diode across the starter contactor's coil to stop the spike. Today the Avionics switch just creates an additional step at start-up and shut-down, and is a single point of failure for the entire panel.

When you talk to Dynon, ask them if an Avionics Master (there's that word again!) switch is necessary to protect their products. I'm confident that they'll say no. In order for Dynon to put their gear in type certificated aircraft, they had to show the FAA that they're designed and tested to satisfy DO-160, including Sections 16 and 17.

Check out this thread on the Dynon forum, and notice the answer from "Dynon Staff" in post #4.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings