Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Instrument Panel - Proposed Layout

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Instrument Panel - Proposed Layout

this is all super good info!

What the general consensus regarding trim on the stick grip? Most pics I see, guys are just running a bicycle grip or something similar, but a trim switch there seems like it'd be awfully useful

Question Re: Instrument Panel - Proposed Layout

I am so glad you all are discussing this again right now. I'm in the final stages of designing my panel before purchase. I've gone back and forth for months and would love a second set of eyes re: the switch layout and if I'm missing anything.

I do plan to stick w Dynon and use the Fastrak Trays on back of my panel to house most modules to keep wiring challenges to a minimum. My layout is designed the way it is to allow me future space for a G5 and GPS175 (IFR) if I ever wanted it (but unlikely). I chose 2 screens, so I can fly from either seat. A little concerned about weight compared w a 10" screen and G5 backup only but I do like the symmetrical look.

Here are my questions I'm hoping to get clarification on.

1. I have space to add a dimmer switch (dual or two separate knobs) but is it necessary? I am thinking of switching out the "round black switches" with ones that have red lights in them. If I do, concern is those could be really distracting at night if I can't dim them.

2. Any recommendation on the round black switch order for my lights and Cabin Heat? I imagine always turning on my Nav lights, so am changing the order (from left to right): to:Nav”-“Strobe”-"Cabin Heat”-”Landing (and/ or)WigWag”-“Taxi"

3. I just emailed Kit Fox but haven't heard back yet due to the weekend. I am unclear if the Wig Wag function is used with the Aero LED Pulsar or Sunbeam light, and if the Wig Wag function needs a separate switch or if it's wired with the Landing light?

Lastly, I did purchase a Cowl Flap control knob which I plan to place to right of Throttle. No room for labeling but if I can, I will have it laser etched on end of knob.

Any constructive criticism or recommendations would be great!
    Attachment 32168
    Thanks,

Kevin Olson
    Building KitFox S7 STi (Rotax 915)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Regarding trim switch on the stick grip-I find the trim on my SS7 is so seldom used it really doesn't matter where it is. I kept mine on the center console where Kitfox recommends and have been very happy with it there. Typically I trim for takeoff before taxi then maybe make a very small adjustment (sometimes none is required since takeoff trim is essentially the same as climbout) for climbout after flaps are raised. Another very small adjustment for level cruise flight may be necessary, and then I never touch it, even if I change cruise altitudes. For landing descent it is still not touched until flaps have been brought in and then I make a major nose up trim adjustment for landing approach speed. At this point I usually land with 1/2 flaps and no further trim adjustment is necessary because full nose up trim is already in place for landing. As you can see, trim is not a frequent thing in flying the SS7 standard wing, so having it on the stick is no major convenience. I of course cannot speak for flying the STi or any of the earlier models. I like to keep my stick simple and not have to install and wire in a module for handling the relatively high current to the trim actuator. Just one guy's opinion.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Regarding trim switch on the stick grip-I find the trim on my SS7 is so seldom used it really doesn't matter where it is. I kept mine on the center console where Kitfox recommends and have been very happy with it there. Typically I trim for takeoff before taxi then maybe make a very small adjustment (sometimes none is required since takeoff trim is essentially the same as climbout) for climbout after flaps are raised. Another very small adjustment for level cruise flight may be necessary, and then I never touch it, even if I change cruise altitudes. For landing descent it is still not touched until flaps have been brought in and then I make a major nose up trim adjustment for landing approach speed. At this point I usually land with 1/2 flaps and no further trim adjustment is necessary because full nose up trim is already in place for landing. As you can see, trim is not a frequent thing in flying the SS7 standard wing, so having it on the stick is no major convenience. I of course cannot speak for flying the STi or any of the earlier models. I like to keep my stick simple and not have to install and wire in a module for handling the relatively high current to the trim actuator. Just one guy's opinion.
    I rarely disagree with Jim on his posts but I have a different view with my IO-240 powered Series 5 and maybe that is the difference. My 5 requires trim adjustments constantly . speed changes, configuration changes and power changes all require trim. So much so that when I built mine 20 years ago , I added a selectable slow fast function of the trim speed for precise trimming under different conditions. I like "hands off, feet off" flight in cruise so precise stab trim and cockpit controlled rudder trim was required for me. This is also very important for autopilot use ,if you plan on installing one. Having said all that , my trim on the console has worked fine as it is in a good location and easy to reach. I do like my PTT button on my stick grip. Bruce N199CL

Did the moderators remove like half of this thread? I went to review prior suggestions and they're gone, along with a bunch of the uploaded photos.