Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G3X to complicated, new radio and transponder recomendations

Default G3X to complicated, new radio and transponder recomendations

I have a new g3x system it’s just too complicated for me between all the wiring and different modules. What does everybody recommend for a new radio and mode c alt encoding with no adsb. Brand is not a big deal. I do like the 200b radio with the built in coms and blue tooth.

Default Re: G3X to complicated, new radio and transponder recomendations

Kurt,

I'd certainly agree with the 200b for a decent com radio. The Garmin GTX 325 is a good basic Mode C transponder without ADS-B.

Since I can't avoid ADS B requirements, I later added the Echo UAT which wifi'd into my existing Ifly 740 B GPS screen and 325 xponder without a bunch of nasty wiring. Couldn't believe how easily and inexpensively(relatively) that worked so I don't think there is any handicap getting a mode C only transponder even if ther is any chance needing ADS-b later.

There are lots of options out there and others will have additional suggestions. Just don't buy any used ameri king junk/unapproved parts.

Cheers

PS - I should mention that the Icom a200 is a decent com radio also with the flip-flops but I don't think it has bluetooth (unless that has changed recently. A little cheaper
    Last edited by Dave S; 03-21-2023 at 01:38 PM.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

After hunting around haven’t found a 325 in stock, 4 to 5 month lead time. So decided to use the 200b and bought a used 327 and micro encoder

You have an operating G3X in the plane and you want to put in a stand alone radio?
    The only difference between another radio and an integrated one is a 2-wire CANbus or a 3-wire serial.
    I'm sure many of us would be happy to help with the integration and you will probably be more satisfied in the end.
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912

No everything is new sitting in boxes, really like the idea of everything in one unit. The wiring and configuration I dont feel comfortable doing. If you know anybody that wants everything have them get a hold of me.

Have you thought of hiring someone to help you?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Kurt,

You can always reach out to us with assistance along the way. We have several avionics tech's on staff that are available to help work though the installation process with you. 1-866-854-8433 is the phone number you would use to reach the experimental installation help desk.

Thanks,

Justin

Rather than create another thread, perhaps I'll hijack. Excuse me.

I am getting a good amount of noise in my GTR20 intercom. Crystal clear during transmit.
    I shut off the other LRU's and isolated, made no difference.
    Jacks are shielded and grounded properly to jackshells.
    Anyone have any thoughts of what to look for?
    🇨🇦CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by patrick.hvac View Post
    Jacks are shielded and grounded properly to jackshells.
    The way you wrote that sentence makes me ask, are the cables' shield braids connected to anything at the headset jacks? The braids should be connected only at one end, generally at the intercom. Only the cable's internal conductors should be connected to the jacks. Also, the jacks should be isolated from ground by mounting to a non-conductive panel or by using insulated shoulder washers.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    The way you wrote that sentence makes me ask, are the cables' shield braids connected to anything at the headset jacks? The braids should be connected only at one end, generally at the intercom. Only the cable's internal conductors should be connected to the jacks. Also, the jacks should be isolated from ground by mounting to a non-conductive panel or by using insulated shoulder washers.
    Hi Eric!
    The shields are only connected at the intercom (GTR20) end. There are insulated washers on the jacks but maybe I will check the jack panel for isolation (it's aluminum). That's a good tip.
    🇨🇦CANADA