Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynon Skyview vs. Garmin. Quick Panel options?

Default Dynon Skyview vs. Garmin. Quick Panel options?

Got an STi kit starting production soon and I'm thinking through all the options.

When it comes to avionics, I've always liked the interface of the Dynon Skyview a lot. But I have no objections to the Garmin interface and find it decently intuitive.
    I remember SkyView being the standard for experimental avionics prior to the advent of the Garmin G3. In your opinions, is the SkyView still the way to go or is the G3x better? I'd be interested in hearing your reasons why you prefer one vs. the other.
    I'd like to install something popular among the used market, in the likely case I'll be selling the aircraft not long after completion.

My main question to the builders out there is this: Does anyone know if there exists a "plug and play" solution (I guess they call it a "quick panel") for the SkyView in the Kitfox?
    As a new builder, I'd like to avoid having to "scratch build" the electrical and avionics system. The strong impression I get from kitfox is that they can't provide any sort of prefab harness kits (for the avionics or engine) unless I go with Garmin. So I'm trying to examine what the options are (if any) for getting such a kit for the SkyView from another source.

I've found a few threads here pertaining to the subject but they're all quite old and probably no longer relevant with how fast all this stuff changes. So I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has up-to-date knowledge on the subject.

Thanks,
    Caleb

Default Re: Dynon Skyview vs. Garmin. Quick Panel options?

Call Stein at SteinAir (He is a sponsor of this forum and his link is at the top of the page). He sells them all and can intelligently answer all you questions and concerns. With that said I bought an entire Garmin G3x system with the harnesses pre made. It went in flawlessly and fired right up.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

I agree with having Steinair or Aerotronics build what you want. Both have provided me with excellent customer service and thorough knowledge. I just finished up a G3X panel and IMHO it is a wonderful system. My work planes use Garmin so I didn't want to bounce between 2 different interfaces. Beyond that my experience buying and selling a dozen planes is, with very similar end costs, the Garmin appeals to a wider audience and brings higher resale. I understand MANY here may disagree and I don't intend to start another debate, just share something I've had recent experience with.

Don't count out the Dynon Skyview; in my opinion it is still a great option and they offer their Fast-Trak installation options which include accessory packages and mountings and all interconnecting wiring harnesses. I have been loving mine for 10 years now and not only will it do anything Garmin can do, but all (and I mean all) software/firmware/database upgrades are totally free. This is a big deal when you consider upgraded soft/firm ware comes out several times a year.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Currently building a Series 7 and went with the Dynon SkyView, pre-made wiring harnesses and the Advanced Flight Systems ACM. I can't speak to any comparisons between Skyview and the Garmin, but from an installation standpoint Dynon has been great. I think the best option is a pre-made panel from Kitfox or Stein Air, but if you're doing it yourself this is about as plug-and-play as you can get.
    Jason B.
    Phase 1 - S7 STi
    Dynon | 915is

I don’t know how far along you are in your build, but my recommendation is to make an avionics decision during the later stage of your build. The avionics market seems to be evolving pretty quickly. There might be a new model or manufacture who emerges as you get closer to your completion. Keep your options open as long as possible.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Ditto Kitfox Guy, even if you have made the decision on which brand to get, don't buy the hardware until you need it (keep track of lead times of course).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hi all,

Thanks for your input. It sounds like a lot of people like the SkyView.
    The pricing and ease of install as opposed to garmin will be the ultimate deciding factor. I think I'll give StienAir and Aerotronics a call and discuss with him and report back.

I'd like to wait until further along in the build to get the avionics, but lead times are an issue there. The avionics lead times aren't terrible, it's the firewall forward kit. Need to decide which avionics soon than later, because IIUC that info is needed in order to order the firewall forward kit from Kitfox.

Thanks again,
    Caleb

Quote Originally Posted by caleb1 View Post
    ..........I'd like to wait until further along in the build to get the avionics, but lead times are an issue there. The avionics lead times aren't terrible, it's the firewall forward kit. Need to decide which avionics soon than later, because IIUC that info is needed in order to order the firewall forward kit from Kitfox.

Thanks again,
    Caleb
    Not sure that is correct Caleb about the firewall forward. You certainly need to know which motor you're going to hang up there but the firewall forward kit had no influence on the actual avionics (Garmin) install. Might check that part again. One thing to ask both companies about is the warranty and how they work it. I know I had ordered all my Garmin stuff from Stein right at about a year and a half before I would start integrating them into the plane. So the question is how will they approach the warranty since they know many order early and then it sits in the box for pretty much the warranty period. I personally know Garmin covered my radio when it came out of the box as a brick with no issues. Have heard the same story somewhere about an auto pilot servo being covered.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Last time that I checked the servos for Autopilot were about 1/3rd the weight for the Garmin servos. I have the servos Dynon sells. They work great they are just heavier.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7