Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Open trailer for model 4

Default Open trailer for model 4

I am a Danish guy working in Naples, Italy temporary
    I am about to pick up a Kitfox 4 I am buying. I bought a boat trailer, about 7 meters and I would like to make it fit the Kitfox so I can transport it in a save way. Does anybody have some photos of a trailer? I would like the measures as well between the main wheels and other good relevant tips please.

Default Re: Open trailer for model 4

if your trailer is now 7 meters plus minus,..get some equivelant to 4 inch channel iron ,..you'll need about 7 meters of it,..across the back of the trailer you'll need to make a 1 meter by 2 meter deck that is approximately
    1/4th of a meter lower then the trailer frame itself,.. if you make this deck at the metioned size ,..it will cover your model 4 even if you upgrade to grove gear.
    for your ramp for the tail wheel,..you will need more 4" channel or equivelant that will attach to the center trailing edge of your new main gear deck and go towards the tongue of the trailer the distance neede to support the tail wheel with the main gear up against the back of the trailer where the new deck drops down ,.. you will want the aircraft to sit with wings level when they are in fold position,..
    once you have the landing gear supports done ..and the plane is on the trailer,..before the wings are folded,.. from right in front of the tail wheel spring there are 2 dorsal fin /trailer tow tubes ..they go thru the airframe on the bottom side,..measure up to one of these holes from the trailer deck,..you will want to make 2 triangles that will go ,..one on each side of the tail from the trailer deck up to the tail,..this will take the load off the tail spring while towing the plane,..I have a drawing ,..for a visual,..I'll post it with this explanation.
    What will matter ,,is the size of your tires on the plane ..the tail wheel sping type ..original or cub or etc ..as to the elevations of your tail support system and track to ensure the plane sits level on the trailer ,..if not level ..tail slightly down.

the drawing is just that,.. for reference,..I have built a trailer similar and it worked well for my model 2

Chase
    Attached Images Attached Images

If it is just to get it back to Denmark would it not be quicker and cheaper to fly it back? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for you interest. Yes you have a good point there. But.. First of all I have only around 100 hours of flying and the trip to Denmark requires an International radio certificate which I don’t have.
    I need the trailer on longer terms to and from the local air stripe.

I just posted a couple photos of a boat trailer I converted. Handles great and is real easy on the suspension of the plane. Hardest part is finding a trailer. Best to worse - Torsion, Coil, then leaf spring suspension.

If someone does find a leaf spring trailer,..you can make a box that meets the tail end of the spring and put a coil spring inside of the box ,..so even though it has leaf springs ,,the brunt of a hard ride is taken out by the coil ..this trick is done on mobile home toters ,..I've built a few toters before air suspension was the rave,..and this is how it was done ..give a really smooth ride
    Attached Images Attached Images