Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Titanium Fox?

Default Titanium Fox?

Growing up in the 80’s there were BMX bikes made of titanium for weight savings. The Kitfox Factory video mentioned that the steel frame only weighs about 80 lbs. I’m wondering if a tubular titanium frame is too cost prohibitive. I recently noticed and ultralight kit builder had a titanium frame option using an old Kitfox factory jig. My idea is not original, and if I were to use the total weight savings just to put a heavier Titan 340 up front, then the CG would probably move too far forward. I do love titanium though! Any thoughts?

Default Re: Titanium Fox?

I like titanium also, but it’s expensive and harder to work with. I made titanium spikes for my tie-down kit and learned a few things about working with it. In my opinion, it wouldn’t be worth it to me. For the Patey brothers… maybe?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

There are several challenges with a full titanium frame. I won't go right into that but I cannot understand why the KF community has not moved to Titanium firewalls. Easy weight savings there.
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912

I actually like the idea of a titanium firewall. Some jets use a titanium firewall for the APU in the tail. I also thought about titanium hardware until I discovered what the significance of AN hardware was. I’m on a waitlist for an STI so I’m proactively thinking about ways to stay at 800lbs empty. Initially I was going to save weight with Oratex, but I think I’m more comfortable with Polyfiber after taking a class. With all the lights, extra wires, usb ports, big tires, big engine, etc., I’m probably approaching 1000lbs pretty quickly. Titanium and carbon fiber were the only “safe” weight savings ideas I have. Maybe the 200 hp turbine will drop in price, but then I’ll have to smell jet exhaust if I fly with the doors open.

If I build another kitfox, I am doing either carbon or titanium control rods, titanium landing gear, carbon cowl, carbon seat, carbon wingtips, oratex, edge performance 917 (200 hp) and I think I could be around 850lbs. Would be a performer! I didn’t realize how much weight affects these planes until flying them!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    If I build another kitfox, I am doing either carbon or titanium control rods, titanium landing gear, carbon cowl, carbon seat, carbon wingtips, oratex, edge performance 917 (200 hp) and I think I could be around 850lbs. Would be a performer! I didn’t realize how much weight affects these planes until flying them!
    I have to agree with you. Half of a tank of gas makes a big difference in how a kitfox flys!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw