Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailing Edge Reinforcing option

Question Trailing Edge Reinforcing option

I am looking at adding the reinforcing tubes to the trailing edge of the wings in my S7 SS. Aircraft Spruce has the 3/8 tubing in 2024T3 and 5052-0 aluminum. The 2024T3 is 4 times the cost but stronger. What have others used for this? I have heard of builders using carbon fiber arrow shafts but I have also heard that carbon fiber has a strong corrosive affect on aluminum. Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Greg

Default Re: Trailing Edge Reinforcing option

Quote from Wicks - "5052-0 has the highest strength alloy of the more common non heat treatable grades. Fatigue strength is higher than most aluminum alloys, in addition to good resistance to marine atmosphere and saltwater corrosion."

I used the carbon fiber arrow shafts and looking back, I would still have used them. The ends were coated with epoxy and who knows how much corrosion will actually take place, if any. Living in the mid-west it's doubtful it will ever see any saltwater. Others have different opinions.

That being said this aluminum tubing is great and I would not hesitate to use it.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

But - if you are comparing strengths of various materials, shouldn't you compare the alloy AND the "as supplied" temper? 2024-t6 and 5052-0 are not close. And, depending on who the supplier is, the stated material attributes may be different than the same material in different forms. (Sheet vs tube vs rod, etc.) Depending on the source, 5052-0 has a yield of 25-31 kips where 2024 T3 is 41 kips. But, fully hard 5052 runs to about 44 kips. I can't imagine why fatigue strength is an issue in this application. But a reminder: max strength may be an overkill, strong enough is the desired attribute. For the intended purpose, I'd try to find the same diameter in 6061-t6 for its corrosion resistance properties and it is strong enough for the purpose.

The yield strength is more important in this application than tensile strength. 6061-T6 would be a good choice. It is stronger than 5052 and has better corrosion resistance than 2024. Very commonly available… you should be able to source it locally in the Springs and for sure in Denver. Either .028 or .035 wall thickness would be fine.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thank you all for your input. This was my first post and you all, as well as the forum, are amazing.
    This gives me some direction. Following the build manual, this option was to allow full shrinkage of the fabric and there should not be a large load difference 325 and 350 degrees. The comment about "Good Enough" seems to be on the spot. The lower strength tubing should be plenty "good enough". And the 5052 tubing is much cheaper. I hope I don't get to far down another rabbit hole but I think I'll also look into the 6061 option and see whats on Amazon.
    Thanks again,
    Greg

I'm still a couple of weeks out from receiving my kit, so I may be off here... but you need 18 pieces 16" long right? So that means you would need to buy 3 of those sets on Amazon, or $92.97.

My invoice from Kitfox shows TE Supports 16" L 3/8 Tb Set of 18, $49.50. Not sure if that's the current price, or from when I ordered 2 years ago... but I can't imagine it would have increased to over $90.

Have you called them?
    Mike Davis
    Fairbanks, AK
    Kitfox Series 7 SS (received kit on 18 April 2023) N967MD reserved
    Rotax 916iS received, still waiting on MTV-6-R propeller
    Build log - https://n967md.dcsol.com
    Murphy Moose #195 (sold)
    1968 C150H still flying regularly
    Quicksilver MX built and registered as experimental (destroyed in wind storm)

Yes 3 orders to get the pieces need. I guess they have gone up? I think I paid $25ish per 4.

I like to buy from KF whenever I can, but sometimes it takes a long time to get stuff and the shipping is usually pretty high. But in this case it might be worth a call if they are only $50 for the set.....

If you have an archery store nearby, stop in and ask if they have any old aluminum or carbon arrows they want to get rid of cheap. That's where I got mine.

Rick

I ended up buying 5 pieces of 6061-T6 in 6 foot lengths for $65.00 from Aircraft Spruce. Shipping time was a week. This will give me some spare material is a mess something up.
    I appreciate all the great suggestions.
    Greg