Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine and Prop Choices

Default Re: Engine and Prop Choices

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Don't hold your breath though. I have been waiting for the new rules on LSA to come out as well. They gave a pretty good tease this past summer where many stated that they would be posting the rules for public comment at Airventure. Still haven't heard anything.
    I agree with Eddie, I have about given up on any changes that will help us.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

During EAA Homebuilders Week in January, there was a webinar on "Advocacy Issues" that addressed the current state of MOSAIC.

Short version... NPRM Summer of 2023. Rules in effect sometime in 2024... I will believe it when I see it.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Sorry it took so long for me to reply, but thanks for the responses everyone.
    This was the type of input I was seeking.

As someone pursuing a PPL, I hadn't considered the benefits of keeping it LSA compliant, but I can see how that could be a big selling point.
    Based on this discussion, I'm thinking I'll try to do that. A ground adjustable prop sounds like a good option. And it shouldn't be too hard to upgrade later on if desired.

I can definitely understand the benefits to the simplicity of the "tried and true" 912iS, and the lower price of course. It sounds like most people like that engine.
    However, I met with a friend today who has owned multiple experimental (Pipitstrel and Aeroprakt) and he said that 100hp is not nearly enough power for an almost 1300lbs GW aircraft. I'm not extremely concerned about the extra price of the 915iS upfront, but just want to make sure it will be sellable.
    Is the added price of the 915 really going to cut down on customers though? They're buying something for $150k-$200k+, will they really be unwilling to pay an extra 10 or 20 grand to get the better performance? I must say I tend to agree with Harlan @Kitfox Pilot that the 915iS would be the "better" engine for the STi.

When it comes to landing gear, it's an STi, so I'm probably going to go with the beefy options. My reasoning is, if someone wants an STi, they'll want it for the STOL capability and hence will want the big gear and tires, (as well as an engine giving the best TO/L distances). If they want small tires and basic gear, then they probably won't want the STi wing. Thoughts?

Thanks again for all the help.

Caleb.

@alexM and I did part of a ferry flight back in December in a Kitfox powered with a 912iS and a 3-blade Whirlwind. We started near Montrose, CO and went north into Wyoming before turning east and eventually ending up in Kansas where the weather shut us down. That airplane was about as draggy as a Kitfox can get: Shock Monster gear, big tires and no strut fairings. With two 6-ft 200# guys, two stuffed backpacks and full fuel, we climbed above 12,000' north of Montrose before it ran out of steam. It was my first Kitfox flight experience, so I can't compare it against higher powered airplanes, but it seemed to perform very well to me. I'd say it gave me a sense of comfort with my choice to buy a 912iS for my build.

Of course, as the saying goes, there's never been an airplane built that had enough horsepower.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Good to know... That's better than I'd expect for that setup.

FAA's motto: We're not happy until you are not happy! And, they live up to it daily.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ