Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fabric reinforcement?

Default Fabric reinforcement?

What do you guys think about doing a fabric reinforcement from the inside if you have access? I need an access hole installed and am thinking about adding either 2 layers of fabric on the inside before cutting the opening, or laying a thin aluminum ring on the inside with polytack, cover it with fabric, then cut the inside out once dry? Will that work?

It's for a brake line exit path on the bottom of the forward fuselage.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Default Re: Fabric reinforcement?

Andy, I needed to cut an access hole in my finished rudder to accomodate a servo for my rudder trim so here is what I did. I made basically an aluminum sandwich out of some thin aluminum sheet I had laying around , to act as my access hole frame . I poly tacked the outside part of the frame to the fabric where I wanted the hole , then cut the hole out of the fabric, leaving a little bit of fabric to wrap around the inside edge of the aluminum frame. Now that I had an access hole, I could add the other part of the aluminum sandwich on the inside of the fabric. I used poly tak again with the addition of nutserts squeezed around the frame to add a mechanical sqiush to the sandwich, as well as act as threaded mounting holes for my aluminum cover. Better than this explanation are some close up pictures of the finished product , if you type rudder trim in the search engine on this website and look for a post from me "airlina". Hope this will help you out , Bruce N199CL