Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canadian Shipping?

Default Re: Canadian Shipping?

I'm proud to say that in the 10 years since I designed and we've been building the crate... We've not have ONE SINGLE ITEM damaged shipping all over the world. We might get away with a different crate, but I like my track record. . Dock handlers, fork lift drivers and truckers pay no attention to the fact that the side of it is plastered with "fragile-Aircraft parts". The best those crates get treated is the moment we load it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the knowledge you have of the crate, what are its weaknesses, what are its strengths? For the OP, knowing where the crate can be lifted, where it needs to be supported, where one dare not try to lift it - these are all important considerations as he formulates his plan to move this beast. Please, if you have a few moments, would you mind elaborating?

Also, photos of the crate would be hugely helpful in visualizing the challenges which may be faced in moving the crate.

Of course, one last big ask... Are you able to confirm the all-up weight of the crated aircraft kit, please?

Like the OP, I'm excited by the prospect of seeing his project arrive in a big box.

Thanks for all the ideas being posted -- it's all really helpful.

I thought I had this solved - but then I realized the clearance for my hangar door is on only 12'-6". I don't have an exact height on the truck I'm renting, but I'm guessing it's over 13' - so the truck will not fit into the hangar. The hangar door is also a bi-fold, so it may not be possible to get within 7' of the door threshold. The ceiling hoist is also 10' inside the door. So my idea of using the ceiling hoist and the lift gate may not work.

I may use the double engine hoist/crane idea -- however I think simple might be better, and I'll employ some helpers and just dismantle the crate and unload by hand.

Dave.

Dave - given the number of float change-overs done at our airport there's a chance that somebody has a gantry on wheels that could be used to lower the crate to the ground. Also I suspect there is a tracked skid-steer which may have forks available for it. I'm sure for the right inducement the appropriate equipment could be rounded up.

Oh, one more thought... two hangars down from you the owner has a large farm tractor with front-end loader and I'm reasonably certain he has forks for that loader.