Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Aircraft Spruce Fabric Issue

Default Aircraft Spruce Fabric Issue

I recently ran out of fabric and ordered a new 40 yard roll to finish the covering. I was able to cover the bottom but when rolling it out again to cover the top I spotted this rip or snag in the fabric. Continued rolling out another 35 yard of it and the entire thing looks like this. Has anyone ran into this issue before?

IMG_5454.jpgIMG_5454.jpgIMG_5456.jpgIMG_5455.jpg

Default Re: Aircraft Spruce Fabric Issue

Kristopher,

I'd call that a manufacturing defect. It looks like two or three warp threads (warp running the length of the fabric) were tensioned differently compared to the remainder of the warp threads when the stuff was woven.

Technically that is not a rip or snag; however, no guarantee that won't show up through the final finish. I don't think it would be a strength issue; but I'd hate so see a line across my wing or fuselage that shows. If the plane is ever sold, someone will likely want a sellers discount.

I'd contact Spruce and expect a replacement piece. Spruce should not be selling seconds (unless advertised as such and discounted which I am sure didn't happen).
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks Dave! That's exactly what I needed to know. Looks like I need to get the fabric replaced by Spruce. Thanks for your quick response. Super helpful.

Was this on a roll of "certified" Dacron or the generic non certified product?
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V