Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Another Boot Cowl Fitment Question

Default Another Boot Cowl Fitment Question

Waiting for a couple items I need to finish up my firewall back wiring and such so thought that starting on fitting the boot cowl was in order. The instructions say to trim the flange on the cowl to 1 inch wide but in many places on the flange before trimming, there isn't 1 inch there. Instructions also say when you fit the cowl, the back of the flange should be even with the front face of the firewall. Measured the depth of that front face with respect to the firewall flange and it's 7/8 inch so having gotten this far in the build, I know some of the measurements in the instructions are 'notional'. My plan is to trim the boot cowl front flange to 7/8 inch unless someone pipes up and says I am going to regret that. My next question is how the curved portion of the boot cowl aligns with the frame. The pic with the green tape is the front of the cowl and the blue tape one is the back (sorry for the inverted pic). Both the left and right sides fit pretty much identically both fore and aft. Is this pretty representative of what you all who have done this remember? Last question is on how the front firewall flange and the boot cowl line up. The pic with the holes in the firewall is left side and the no hole pic is the right. If you look close you will see that I drew a line in black sharpie that represents where the 7/8 inch trim job would wind up and after wrestling with the cowl, this appears to be about as close as I am getting between the firewall flange and the boot cowl. Also, the fit along most of the top edge is right on the line. Do I need to wrestle with this some more because if I don't I will have issues when I work on the rest of the engine cowling fitment or is this about what you all achieved as well.

As usual, thank you all for the help on this.

Gary

IMG_2143.JPGIMG_2141.JPGIMG_2142.JPGIMG_2139.JPGIMG_2140.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Default Re: Another Boot Cowl Fitment Question

I fit my boot cowl and the issues weren't the same.

I would trim the from flange of the boot cowl to be even all around, this lip will be the overlap for the cowl to sit and the attach fittings to go through... leave as much as possible up to the 1" limit.

As to the bottom... There is some side to side movement of the boot cowl, just make it even on both sides. When you get the placement of the boot cowl, drill and cleo to the side attach fitting locations and cleco.

The real challenge will be to trim the rear of the boot cowl to fit the door opening.

I don't know how much this will help, but I wanted to encourage you.

p.s. I may have had different issues, we have the carbon cowl.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Thanks Chief!! Appreciate the input. I read ahead and saw that door opening trim and "mark along the joggle" instruction. Think I'll need a LONG pencil to reach in there for that.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

One of the fitting issues is where the frame at the front bottom of the door opening bulges out the cowling that I thought if I didn't relieve that somehow, it would change the way the thing fit once I made the cuts to fit the rear of the cowling. So I drew the lines where the frame and the cowling come together at that lower section and cut it. According to the instructions, I still have some to trim off when I make the final cuts but it did relieve the bulge and let me fit the lower curves better. Again if someone has some suggestions I am all ears. Thanks

Boot Cowl 1.JPGBoot Cowl 2.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG